Maly Modelarz HMS Bounty (1:100)

rkelterer

Jan 16, 2004
Seiersberg, AUSTRIA
starting with the skeleton and sanding and sanding and sanding and (for at least one hour :D ). following the hints of different people (thanks) I applied some tabs

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Oh Boy!! :D
A new ship construction thread...and a sailing ship at that!! :D
Really looking great, rkelterer!

I haven't tried a full hull construction yet (my Constitution, at least the next one I am going to tackle, is still only waterline) so your construction photos and tips provide a great explanation of how to do it. I have this kit, the Victory and some of the Shipyard kits just waiting to go, along with the Fly Constitution (yep, a great inventory of sailing ships just waiting for me), and they are all full hull.

I have to admit when I first saw you joined the outer pieces first before applying it to the hull I went "oh, oh!", fearing some fit problems, but your assembly came out just great! I particularly like the way you attached it to the keel first, then up the sides. Great job, and I can only hope when I try this it comes out half as good. :?

Thanks for posting so many photos of the process, that really helped me appreciate your technique tremendously.
Looking forward to more! :lol:

Question, what type of glue did you use to attach the hull formers/bulkheads to the patterns? Was it that 3M spray, PVA or something else?

Really looking super!
Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Love the idea of the crayons to fill the gaps, I'll have to try that one.

Is this the old version of Malys Bounty?
It will be great to see how this comes out. Great photos and look forward to the rest soon. The bottle is a cool idea to.

Regards

Rob

rkelterer

Jan 16, 2004
Seiersberg, AUSTRIA
hi rob,

it is the 6/2001 issue, printing quality is excelent, the fit is sometimes problematic, though.

hi jim,

so far I did waterline model exclusively, but someday one has to start. the formers were glued with uhu hart(blue) on 1.5mm card (from local hobby store) the blue one will not pluster up the sandpaper when dried.

cheers
raimund

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Thanks, Raimund!
Oh, I'm just a project or two away from tackling a full hull model, and your photos and narrative are very helpful in visualizing the process.

I tend to use the PVA version of glue a lot, even for lamination, but the problem has been how the water based glues affect the printed sheet, causing wrinkles, bulges, etc. I've read of using a small roller to help bond the paper layers when laminating, and remove the water effects to the thin layer, but I haven't tried that yet. I was considering using the 3M spray since I've read how a few modelers have been pretty happy with its characteristics for laminating, apparently not experiencing the problems I've faced with the water based glues (makes a lot of sense if I had thought about it :lol: ). I've got a ways to go, obviously, in becoming more familiar with these techniques, but I enjoy experimenting and finding new ways of doing things (new to me, I mean :wink: ).

Ive used the water color pencils a bit for edging, but never tried the shavings to touch up like you have; great idea, it came out great!

Looking forward to more updates! :D
Jim

cardfan

Jan 17, 2004
Alamo, CA
Raimund,

Welcome to the wet side! Looks great. I am thinking of trying Maly's Aurora next. Won't be nearly as nice as the more recent offerings though. I am looking forward to seeing your progress!

Glen

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Raimund

Its a shame that you have to go caring and making do with the poor fit of the model. Even though you are doing a grand job and I look forward to seeing how you get round all the problems!!

How did the crayon idea work out it looks as if it done the job alright?

Keep us posted please.

Regards

Rob