Maly Modelarz download site

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by bf109, Apr 16, 2009.

1. bf109

bf109 Member

don't know if this url has been posted before , but just to be sure .
    on this site you can download nearly all the maly modelarz models for free
    have a look
    [URL="Link removed until further researched :thumb:
  2. David H

David H Member

It almost certainly a pirate site...

3. I checked with the Owner of this site and he claims that these have been released thru 1993. If you notice after that all you get are the instructions for the model.

So while I don't believe in pirate sites this guy seems pretty confident he is offering these legally.
  4. gman95687

gman95687 Member

they appear to be scans of just about every model they have done up until1993 like says. Can a moderator research this claim?
  5. bf109

bf109 Member

in commi countries like poland was you don't have author rights(look at china )
    everything is there to be shared with the people ,
    copy the url in google and choose translate there is even a reference to polisch law in red at the bottom of the homepage
    that's why i don't think this is a pirate site
  6. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Yes, and they shared wifes too :cry:
    bf109 - while I don't know if downloading models done before 1993 is legal (I strongly suspect it's not), I assure you that copyrights were very well established in Poland even under the communist rule.
  7. Padre

Padre Guest

I agree with Michael, what MAY be legal in one country may NOT be legal in this country. Copyright laws are strongly enforced in most countries. I would rather err on the side of the designer and copyrights so I am removing the link until it is further researched.

Hang me if ya want.:wave:
  8. gman95687

gman95687 Member

I agree with Padre. If these were truly free, then why wouldn't there be any topic or threads about this on other card modeling forums. I think this truly needs to be researched, however I believe the site does violate copyright laws since it is printed media......just my 2 cents....
  9. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

This is an intriguing conundrum. All of the "illegal" "pirate" MM sites continue to offer downloads regardless of legal issues, I suspect. And while I agree strongly with the position that the copyright belongs to the company (or possibly the designer, depending on the agreement), the rights situation in the communist block may have been a genuinely, legally binding agreement of rights, acceptable by international law and agreed upon by all parties involved.
    Michael, if you have any material information from the era, please share it as I think this is an issue that would be very satisfying to all of us to settle conclusively. Is there anyone out there who is in contact with representatives of MM itself? We can suppose a lot, but it would be fantastic to hear the opinion of the participants themselves. I know we would all respect the wishes of the originators of these kits.
    I very much support deleting the link until conclusive information is obtained and I hope we have some members in Poland who can help us resolve this once and for all.
  10. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I don't have any conclusive info about copyrights, but I grew up in Poland (left in 1990) and I know for sure that copyrights were very much a reality.
    Did any of you ever wonder why all those download sites are located on Russian servers? if it would be legal to post those models as free downloads then why nobody in Poland is doing so? Well, there were few who tried and were very quickly shut down. Polish law protects the publisher and author but there is no way to enforce that outside of Poland's borders if the government of the other country turns a blind eye on the issue and people don't care if their are stealing other's intelectual property.
    Another example were books - back then in Poland access to Western literature was very limited since publishing houses couldn't really afford to pay royalties to copyrights owners, yet you could find every one of those books in Russian. No, they did not pay royalties for the most part......
  11. bf109

bf109 Member

cjwalas is right lets finnaly resolve this .for me it didn't look illegal else i wouldn't posted a thread here , so don't get me wrong if it's a pirate site the link should offcourse be removed :wave:
    if not enjoy it :mrgreen:
  12. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Thanks for the response. I think that's what most of us believed was the situation. It would be nice if the management of MM would make a public statement to that effect to really make it clear that none of these sites is legal from their standpoint.
    Until that time, I think it's right to keep these links off the site, IMHO.
  13. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

May I suggest that this be put in the forum rules?
  14. hank2

hank2 New Member

Pirate sites .cz?

Greetings from Czechia.

I dare not agree that Czech paper model sites (domain .cz) are usually pirate ones.

Pls be aware that here in Czechia we have several quite strong, active and well organized groups of paper modellers. You can be sure that they are able to keep an eye open for observing copyrights at least in relation to Czech-language websites.

I also must confirm what shoki2000 wrote above: Even under the communist rule there existed a sort of copyright in Eastern Europe. Before 1989 their holders were usually publishers, media and like organisations. Validity of what we call here intellectual property (it is not exactly the same like copyright according to the Anglo-Saxon law) extends usually 50 years but there are lot of exclusions prolonging it.

Sorry, I am not a lawyer and my English is to poor to be able to explain in detail how the copyright law here works. I would only like to point out that we are not a sort of a banana republic although it can be that much perceived from outside.

15. bf109

bf109 Member

well here's one www......... eh i leave it. before you know i got another big discussion on my handssign1
  16. aaronlam

aaronlam Member

hello guys,

Nice discussion about this MM site, and its resolve some of my query before. But I still have one: about the free to public domain after 50yrs. As you all aware, time flies by and this year is --- 2009 --- :) so can I say those MM model before 1959 can be treated as freely distributed? I think MM already dis-continue the print-out of those 195x paper model (those handwriting, mis-fit, bad quality), right? And, not sure if the designer still alive or not?

Any comments?
    Thanks a lots and wish you all have a nice day!!
  17. I have visited a number of "Communist" country sites. Now I can assure you, that many do respect copywrites. Not all of them are pirate sites as was implied earlier. However, I support the suggestion that further research be given and we should contact MM directly to get their opinon. Are they in fact supportive of these models being offered since they are no longer in print?

I don't speak Polish but perhaps one of our Polish speaking modeling pals could do so.
  18. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I love how people constantly post 'questionable' sites here on a 'weekly' basis and drag this whole situation up over and over again.

Putting a big grin next to a "Maly Modelarz Download site" title makes me think the person who started this thread did so to cause problems.
  19. SJPONeill

SJPONeill Guest

Agree however does this mean that similar authentication is also necessary for the MM CDs being sold by a French online distributor? I have been eying these up but have yet to be convinced that they are legit.

If only MM could rerelease these kits as legit scans so we could get on with the hobby - I love the retro look of some of them but they are so hard to find now...
  20. hank2

hank2 New Member

I have tried to upload this post twice but it has not appeared.

This is a short list of Czech and Slovak websites with free paper models for download. Downloading them you do not disturb a copyright law. modely/Papirove modely.htm

Unfortunately most of the sites are only in Czech or Slovak language. Try yourselves.

This is a link to the official Czech paper modelling forum - download subforum:

The links there refer to sites all over the internet.

Enjoy downloading.