Making wooden and other fences from household items...

Happy New Year All,

I was playing around with a couple of ideas this weekend and here are the results.

First lets use wooden coffee stirrers cut to fence scale height and make a couple of fences out of them. :D I used elmers white glue and used a long stirrer behind all the smaller planks. Then I used round toothpicks as uprights to hold up the fence. I drill a small hole in my benchwork and insert the toothpicks. Since they are tappered they all go in to the same depth. Then I glue the fence to the toothpicks and clamp with clothes pins until dry. I can then remove the entire assembly and add additional glue for a sturdier bond.

Second I used screen porch plastic screen to make a different kind of fence. As you can tell by the pictures I again used toothpicks for my posts and staggered them. Not a bad result for using items I had around the house.

Keep in mind I still have to stain and weather the posts, wooden fence and I will probably spray the black fencing silver and add some rust and corrosion.

Let me know what you all think,

Attachments

• Wooden Fence 1.jpg
    Wooden Fence 1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 267
  • Wooden Fence 2.jpg
    Wooden Fence 2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 267
  • Screen Fence 1.jpg
    Screen Fence 1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 269
  • Finished Wood Fence.jpg
    Finished Wood Fence.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 260
  • Weathered 1.jpg
    Weathered 1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 223
Looks pretty good. I was thinking we only have those round plastic coffee stir sticks at work. Darn it. LOL My second thought was to have Huckleberry Finn and his buddy whitewashing the fence. That would be cool if you could find some little HO figures with a paint brush in hand.

F

Fred_M

That's how you do it Bob. :thumb: Pretty soon you will be using strip wood and scale lumber. :) and plastic will be what milk cartons are made of. :D Fred

Hey Fred, nice to see you back. We were all worried about you. Thought the doctor had given you some bad news or the Mrs put her foot down and made you buy an RV and just travel for the rest of your life.

E Mo Ry

Stripwood and scale lumber fences....

Fences are a great way to "personalize" a layout...I decided to build a few and put ads and posters on them from friend's companies, my childhood, etc...here are the results, next to a Earl Smallshaw's tenaments on my E. Mo. Ry. Anyone from NJ recognize that poster on the left?

Attachments

• IMG_1538.JPG
    IMG_1538.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 179
F

Fred_M

XavierJ123 said:
Hey Fred, nice to see you back. We were all worried about you. Thought the doctor had given you some bad news or the Mrs put her foot down and made you buy an RV and just travel for the rest of your life.
TY, I was only gone a couple days to think. Fred

Scott,

The fence in the third picture is made from left over porch screen which is nylon or plastic (you know what I mean) When I had my porch screened in I grabbed all the left overs for my layout...and my neighbors left overs also.

It is great for mountain bases and fences and I also cut them out for securing stands of trees. I put down waxed paper then the contoure cut screen and glue the trees in place. Then I just peel off the waxed paper. This way I can lift out the whole lot and work on detailing and just put it back in place. Or I can change that area completely if I get tired of it.

Regards,

interurban

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
That`s the way to do it cheap and cheerfull :D
And fun making it to.
Well done bob, keep thinking of the easy way and lets us in on your discovery. :D :D :D :D

btw Very nice buildings.