Making use of sketchup models

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Daniyal, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Daniyal

Daniyal New Member

not sure if this is he right place to ask or if this topic has been concerned before, but i was wondering if there is any possibility of using the .skp sketchup models available at google 3d warehouse as model? the models there are free to download, but are in .skp files which metasequoia nor pepakura support. Any way to open them or convert them to make them metasequoia or pepakura friendly?
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I thought Pepakura directly supports .skp format... or does it?
  3. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

If you use the registered version of Sketchup Pro you can export skp files directly to a number of other formats. I believe the 8 hour trial version also permits this export option.
  4. Daniyal

Daniyal New Member

Thanks for the super-fast replies guys. Hmm.. I'll check out sketchup and report as soon as possible.
  5. Alejandr0

Alejandr0 New Member

I have been using sketchup with Pepakura for some designs I have been working on, and I can tell you that it does in fact work. All you have to do is export it in Google Earth 4 format .kmz (either with the free or pro version) and open it up with Pepakura. That's it.
  6. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

you can also change the .kmz to .zip and extract the information. a lot of the models have bad intersections though.
  7. theoverlord

theoverlord New Member

useing sketchup

when using sketchup make sure all the faces are the same way. I had a lot of trouble until i did this. Just did not work in Pepakura until this was done. Hope this helped.