making templates

belg

Hey guys I usually make my templates out of wood and cover them with wax paper as not to let the glue dry to the wood below but this seems to not work all that well. Does anyone have a solution? I work in N scale so everything is very small and fragile as you are well aware I'm sure. The glue I use most often is just good old Elmer"s white school glue.:confused:

jim currie

belg

if you are using a printed plan and have a scanner scan a copy and then put wax paper over it if it is ruined just make a new copy if no scanner and you have access to a copy machine use it.also use to use white glue but went to tight bound still water based but dries more water resistance better bond on wood.

belg

Jim I appriciate the response but you didn't address "my" problem which is the release of the piece after it dries to the wax paper.

jim currie

humm, never had that problem but i work in ho and i dont use house hold wax paper went and looked a wifes roll seams a might thin on wax what i use in an artist grade that was orginaly used to make stencils dont know if still advable have had pack i been using for about 20 years a lot heaver that rolled comes in 8 by 11 sheets.

C

Catt

I don't use wax paper.I build directly on the plan.(make plenty of copies) I use the glue sparingly (Elmer's is fine)I would suggest that you get a wide metal putty knife/scraper and use this to remove the part if it sticks to the plan.

shamus

Registered Member
Hello Belg,
If you can give me an idea what you need the templates for, then perhaps I might be able to help.
shamus

cidchase

Hi belg,
hold it over the stove or set it on a
warm pan, etc. just enough to melt the wax,
the piece should release easily.:)

Vic

Here's a trick from my model R/C airplane and boat days....

Spray the waxed paper lightly with Armour- All or PAM. Then wipe it off with a paper towel real good. Then tape it over your plan or template.

belg

type of templates

Shamus the things I'm using the templates for are to make roof trusses for loads and scenery structures. Also am planning to make bridge supports and tresses.

cidchase I think that makes good sense maybe even a blow dryer would work. All that remains to be done is change the wax paper between each new piece.

Catt trying to scrape 1/32 x 1/32 stock loose with a scraper seems like it would create a large pile of scrap trusses. Thats what I used in the past and did not have good results.

jim currie

belg

ask around as to what modelers use on templates the best reply was to use transparencies for inkjet printers tried it my self works very well the only thing that stuck to it was ca ,as long as you use smooth side.

Belg, Jim Currie's idea sounds best but if you can't duplicate your templates just wipe your template (or the wax paper) with a white candle. The candlewax won't let any adhesive stick to it.

Have fun
Errol

penngg1

your problem caught me off guard. I used Goo on an errant vinyl floor tile and covered it with Cut Rite wax paper. 24rs later I peeled off the paper and none of the glue stuck to it.

belg

Hey guys thanks very much for the input it would seeem that wax and or plastic are the way to go.

Jim I'm not familiar with those transparancies you spoke about what are they? Are we talking about sheet protectors?

jim currie

[
Jim I'm not familiar with those transparancies you spoke about what are they? Are we talking about sheet protectors? [/B][/QUOTE]

Pat
no they are for printing transparencies on a ink jet printer the brand i tried was a hammermill product it is 4mil 8 1/2 x11" item #10815-0 but only one side is slick the other side is coated so that ink will stick and so will glue.got mine at good old walmart.

Russ Bellinis

Originally posted by belg
Hey guys thanks very much for the input it would seeem that wax and or plastic are the way to go.

Jim I'm not familiar with those transparancies you spoke about what are they? Are we talking about sheet protectors?

If I understand your question correctly, transparancies are what teachers used with an overhead projector before power point.

Clerk

Belge. I use Siran Wrap. It is thin and very transparant. I have had no trouble with glue sticking to it.