Making money off cardboard

Discussion in 'Extended Mediums' started by Bowdenja, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Holy crap, $250 for THIS? Man, I need to get into that business!

I can't imagine very many people being delusional enough to buy it though.

Actually one GOOD use of cardboard for a cat is those nip filled scratch boxes, cost about $7-8 and cats love them.

This, on the other hand.... :)
  3. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Neat idea, but $250???? I got enough boxes left over from moving to make a dozen of those....
  4. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Did you happen to notice that they patented it?:roll:

5. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

People Buy $100CAN Bread Here!

Yes, there are people that may spend that amount just because it does cost that much!

There's a shop in the ritzier part of Vancouver here (Yaletown) that sells loaves of "artisan" bread (when we have many awesome bakers locally) imported from France for $100CAN each! :roll:

People must buy it, because they've been selling it or years now!

For $250 though that "Cat Cocoon" should come with a free cat, free dishes, and a year's supply of food!:twisted:

6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Elliott..................:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

But did you notice that the grain in the cardboard is all running the same way, that alone is worth 100 bucks. Then there is how aesthetically pleasing it looks - another 100 bucks. Then there are those superb air vents cut out in the cocoon just in case your cat poots while its in there... another 50 bucks well spent - see it is all accounted for!
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Just One Thought...,

I wonder who gets the last laugh here. If they're actually selling enough of these to call it a business it apperars to me that they get the last laugh...,

Taste is in the mouth of the beholder, especially if they're buying...,
  9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

To the filthy rich, $250 is nothing.
    It is unique, laser cut, and hand assembled.
    I would bet that they are selling a lot of these.

10. dinsour

dinsour Member

Card board boxes.

Geez: I beleave in recycling but there's a limit to how far I'll go. That's one more reason I don't have cats. The first one is I don't know how to cook them. :roll:

-----73 Ron
  11. That shop looks like a ton of overpriced trendy garbage
  12. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I had a good laugh from that comment!:grin: Good one and how true it is!

13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

dinsour................ man don't go there:grin: You just might O fend someone!

I'll be the first to admit.......... I'll do just about anything for my dog, but 250.00 for something to lay in.............ummmmmmmm I think not!

You know the old saying about............. if you price anything high enough, there will be someone that don't know better think they are getting something.

LovelyLeopardess............. you hit the nail on the head "trendy".... in other words high priced crap (garbage is what you used, I'm not as nice as you are:grin: )

Cut up used corugated paper boxes...........$250.00, and I bet that don't include shipping.

14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I would so go for that but beer cases are flat, they must be corregated :p
  15. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Do you really think the filthy rich buy their cats cardboad? I have no idea, but it seems they would buy something more luxurious. :roll:
  16. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

The deluxe model is made of Prada shipping cartons.

"Hand Laminated" my a--.
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

your what is hand laminated??? :p HAHAHAHAHA
  18. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

'A fool and his money are soon parted'
  19. DrBill

DrBill Member

Hey... It's recycling :-D. The guy probably gets a tax break for his efforts.

Back when I was an amateur radio operator, we used to build beer-can vertical antennas. Sixteen feet was the normal height (tuned to transmission frequency). Unfortunately, we had to empty the beer cans in order to allow the contruction to proceed, and this resulted in somewhat crooked antennas after about 8-10 feet. But the cans stayed out of landfills, just like this guy's Prada cardboard.
  20. Gil

Gil Active Member

Just a bunch of cut ups...,

Does give one an idea for production use of a laser cutter...,

Use the laser cutter to cut the forms required for something like a canoe hull with an alignment method (tube holes). Align cardboard cutouts and coat with thinned polyester resin. Wrap the cured exterior with two layers of resined fiberglass cloth.

The canoe is only used as an example. It could be anything from a contoured chair to an airplane...,