Making Junk

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Hey guys I'm looking for ideas for creating junk with every day items? I've used the center part of Qtips to make barrels, beads to make several others interesting shapes. Pieces of wire to make accetalene bottles,well you get the idea.

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
how's about:

thread - rope
splinters - broken boards
bits of paper - cartons
sliced wire insulation - tires

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Take a look in the bottom of your shop vac - you never know what you'll find that is suitable. One suggestion I quite like is to paint tinfoil with rust, brown and black (and other colours if desired) on the "dull" side. When dry, scrunch it up really tight, and then slice layers off it with scissors or a blade you don't care too much about. Makes great scrap metal piles.

Andrew

F

Fred_M

All's I have to do is open a kit and put it together. Lots of junk stuff inside of electronic stuff like cdroms and printers. Bottom of kids toy boxes and all their broken junk (raided at night). Take and old hot wheels with bent axels and beat it with a hammer and pull it apart with pliers. Paint with ox blood pimer or whatever. As I say at the begining, making junk has never been a problem for me, making good stuff, that's the rub. :D FRED

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Mine comes along just like the real world...as I upgrade, modify or retire railroad equipment and scenic elements like autos and trucks, they get a new life as junk. That or, like FRED, if I take on a project a bit outta my league, like that Arbour Models 2-8-4 Kanawa I bought years ago for peanuts, it becomes a large collection of "scenic elements" i.e. junk....:p

stary

Jul 22, 2002
bridgeport, pa.
Visit site
I remember seeing in Model Railroader once, a while ago, an article about making junk for a junk yard by just taking one of the commercialy availible cast loads, burying it in your layout and covering the edges. If you want, cut it into peices first.

F

Fred_M

Your post got me thinking/looking and I realised I was hoarding parts in boxes waiting for "the perfect place" when they should be on the layout. So I'm starting a junk yard (second hand store) to put items until I find that perfect place. Doing this I will get 4 boxes of windows, doors,and assorted detail parts on the layout rather than in a box to be forgot about. Example, I found 100+ windows, 25+ barrels, 20+ wheels. I'm thinking Sanford and Son. All's I need is a small rundown house and a 1949 Ford pickup. Didn't find them in the junk boxes. FRED

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
People toss out computers, printers, and other electronics like used diapers nowadays. They are full of small mechanical parts, springs gears and gizmos. The electronic parts can be used as well. Paint up one or some of the many cylindrical shaped electronic parts (capacitors, resistors, or whatever) and you have a tank for liquids or compressed gas (junkpile it or mount on a loco). Trasistors, diodes or ICs packaged in metal cans make great metal cans :D The wire leads may be snipped flush or left on at plumbing.

If you want junk, and most of us need more junk on our layouts, take this 1:1 junk and rip out a bunch of parts that are smaller than a cubic inch, toss these parts in a shoebox, then throw the 1:1 junk back in the trash before any governing bodies (aka spouse) sees you.

This photo shows a printer part, the black plastic part with a toothed wheel that rolls the paper along. It's being used as a gizmo on the blacksmith shop floor. Could be painted "rust" and be quite at home in a junk pile. All I did to it was drybrush grey to "pop" the details and dullcoat it. I brightened the pic to show the detail better, so if it's dark and you viewed it before my last edit, try "refresh."

Attachments

• interior9.jpg
    interior9.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 139