Making Faux Fur Grass - Part Two

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by hminky, Oct 22, 2004.

1. hminky

hminky Member

2. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Thanks for the how to Harold. Looks like I could use some short stuff for N scale too.
  3. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Just found this article on making tall grass with blond wigs.

"You may want to check out the fake blonde wigs that are sold for Halloween. They are cheap then, as opposed to buying them from a costume store. I do not have a brand name, as the ones I bought, do not have a manufactures or brand name on them.

Rick Reimer of Selkirk Scenery has been using blonde wig material for some time on his modules. The results are exceptional. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any way of re-dyeing the synthetic material, so it has to be airbrushed to the colours you
    want, once you have "planted the grass".

Completed about an 8'x2' area on my layout for about $5 Canadian. That's less then $4 $US.

Planting is relatively simple:
    1) Prepare your ground cover, Rick paints the plaster a base colour and applies some Woodland Scenics material for ground cover.
    2) Cut the wig to the desired height of grass you want
    3) Grab a clump of cut grass, and roll it between your hands, to form a cigar shaped bundle
    4) Break bundle in half, (in the middle), so you have a relatively flat edge
    5) Spray 3M Super 77 glue over the area (small areas at a time), and let it set up, to be tacky
    6) Lightly dab the flat end of the cigar bundle over the sprayed area, 'when you develop the touch', the grass will remain standing, you can rearrange slightly by using a thin object like the end a paint brush.
    7) Air brush accordingly

To create the brush and flowers, dab (take a small pinch between fingers and touch to small areas that you have sprayed with Supper77) Selkirk Scenery leaf materials over some areas of the longer grass. He also has materials for adding branches to the trees. Also coloured leaf materials that we use for flowers. If you look closely you can see the purple and white, which gives the wild flower effect in the photographs.

Photographs do not do the scenery justice. The scenery really holds up to close scrutiny.

You can see the results at roadcar.jpg "

Never tried it myself, but just may.

4. hminky

hminky Member

Thank you for the information. I have done that method it works really well. My method eliminates the cutting and planting. It deals with dyeing a whole sheet of fabric and using it as the field.
    Just a thought
  5. hminky

hminky Member