Making 'em shiney but not too much.

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Nemesis7485, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

I've done a seach through this section but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.

What I need is something that will put a metallic sheen on military models but not shiney like a new car. Something that will give the dullish sheen you would get on a camouflage-painted vehicle or plane.

Hope I explained this clearly enough.

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That would be a product called dullcoat. Its used for plastic models but can also be used on paper (almost positive anyway) hope that helps!

*edit* dont spray it on your canopy ;)
  3. rlc321

rlc321 Gundam designer wannabe

how about a satin spray laquer not as shiny as gloss and not as dull as matt should work fine....
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

The dullcoat is designed to give the appearance of a military vehicle but if you want a touch of shine rlc's suggestion would be better :)
  5. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think I'll get both to test them out. :)
  6. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Give Future floor wax a try it works great. You can use an air brush to cover large areas` or hand brush it on the model. One light coat will even out the finish on a model and seal any chalk you may have used to weather the model. Each successive coat will add an additional shine to the model. Six or seven light coats will give you a near high gloss finish. Applying future to the back of small parts will stiffen them and make it easer to get fine cut. Lastly I have used it to “glue” on the frame to vacuumed formed canopies.

Clean up requires a solution of water and household ammonia at about a five to one ratio. If you use it in an air brush clean the brush immediately after you spray otherwise you can ruin a good air brush.

Jim Nunn
  7. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

Thanks, Jim. I'll certainly check that out, too. :)
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Future is for high gloss. If you want a satin finish, go with some of Tamiya and Testor's products.
  9. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

I just recieved my Testers Dull Cote in the post so I'll be experimenting with that later today.
  10. otftch

otftch New Member

If the dullcote is too dull for you Testors also makes a semi-gloss spray in its Model Master line.(again,not the canopy)
  11. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

Thanks otftch.

The dullcote made no descernable difference as far as I could tell, even after two or three coats, so I'll be looking at the semi-gloss you suggested and see how that goes.

Thanks again.
  12. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

I used a product by krylon - it's simply called "matte finish".

ONE WORD OF CAUTION!!!! applying too much (more than two coats) will cause a white chalkey looking build up that will not come off.

This stuff may work better on a model with light colors but the results were horrible on darker colors.

In the future I'll will try a few base coats using a regular gloss finish first to seal the paper and the come back with one final coat of the dull finish on top of that.

I'm not sure if testors dull coat has the same results - please let me know if you have ever experienced anything like that with the dull coat.
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

Dullcote I usually find produces a matte finish on plastic models. I don't know why it wouldn't work on a paper model.
  14. otftch

otftch New Member

With both Dullcote and semi-gloss I've never had this whitning you describe even eith multiple applications.One thing I do religiously is to warm the can in a pot of very hot water before shaking.I heat the water untilI can just keep my finger in the water and then sit the can in it for about two minutes.I find this lets the paint spray more evenly and I can use all the paint in the can.I will also use coats of dullcote to lighten the color or Glosscote to darken it.Most of my aircraft get a final coat of Dullcote or semi-gloss for a final finish.
  15. Millenniumfalsehood

Just don't leave it in the pan for very long, or else you might find yourself doing a home-improvement project over the weekend. . .