Making concrete looking retaining walls?

vanda32547

Jun 4, 2002
Miami Florida
www.geocities.com
Morning Ya'll,

Does anyone have any experience creating/making HO scale concrete looking retaining walls? I have the need for alot of them on my layout and before spending tons of money buying them I wondered if anyone had any suggestions on how to make them? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
Bob,

Retaining walls aren't difficult to make. Here are pictures of two retaining walls on our club layout. The first was made from sheets of cast Hydrocal, cut to fit the grade and the second is Masonite (smooth side out), painted a concrete color.

George

Attachments

• Retaining Wall 1.JPG
    Retaining Wall 1.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 326
  • Retaining Wall 2.JPG
    Retaining Wall 2.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 332

JBBVry

May 14, 2004
Thomasville NC
groups.yahoo.com
I just use plane old plaster. somtimes i sand it some times i don't depends on how old i want it to be then use Floquil aged concrete thined a bit and then weather it with with some rust from the rebar.

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
Bah just use real Concrete, not only is it hefty, it'll look realistic.

Justy kidding, if you really want it to look realistic, place a thin (and i mean super thin) layer of very fine (and i mean very fine) sand on the bottom of a pan (make sure you use something the plaster can get released from and pour the plater slowely in over the sand, making sure not to push the sand out. this will give you a side that looks like concrete.

of course fi you want a uniformed concrete appearance, mix some sand into the plaster before pouring it, that way your tops and sides would look like concrete too.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I used to use plaster, but now I use the blue insulation foam. It's cheap and easy. Just cut to size and sand the edges, then paint. I was going to post a photo but get the message that I've already posted it so I can't. If you'd like to see it, check in the Academy for a thread called "water poured it's a river" There are photos there of a concrete bridge pier made from the foam.

Gary

vanda32547

Jun 4, 2002
Miami Florida
www.geocities.com
Thanks...Keep those suggestions coming...

Gary,
The Academy? What is that? :confused: I did a search with "water poured it's a river" but did not find your photos. :(

George,
The masonite idea is a good suggestion considering I have some curves to deal with and masonite is somewhat flexible however I don't know if it will flex as much as I would need it to. I have also thought about casting molds that are available that simulate stone walls, brick, etc. but I would have to make alot of them and I am concerned about where they come together.

The space between tracks is limited so whatever I use has to be relatively thin here is a link to photos of the area in question.
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=12422 #12

Regards,

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
Bob,
Here's a closer picture of the Masonite wall. It's an earlier picture and the building at the right edge of the picture has since been moved. I used a piece of Evergreen styrene angle stock to finish off the top of the wall (I don't remember the size). It's a quick and easy way to make a wall.
George

Attachments

• Retaining Wall 3.JPG
    Retaining Wall 3.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 211

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
An easy way to make "concrete" retaining walls is to use styrene. Look in the Yellow Pages under "plastic suppliers". You should be able to get a 4'x8' sheet of .060 styrene for under $30.00. Cut (score and snap) a piece of suitable height and length and then cut narrower strips to be glued on as buttresses and caps, etc. Paint a suitable colour and install: easy to do, even on a curve. The leftover styrene is great for all sorts of scratchbuilding projects. Believe me, you'll use it up: I've gone through 4 or 5 sheets in about three years. It's also available in many other thicknesses and if you're using any quantity, a lot cheaper than the prepackaged stuff at the hobby store.
Wayne

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
I remember seeing a retaining wall made from the insert of a cookie package. You know, those plastic trays that separate the cookies. The tray was cut and painted and looked really good. Looked like the type of retaining wall with the concrete braces extending from the wall for wxtra strength.