Making a new Sawmill

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by shamus, Dec 21, 2001.

1. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Here are three views of my new Sawmill, the other is going to be sold off soon.
    The sawmill isn't finished by any means, the roof has to be put on yet but all woodwork is now finished. Some time over the next few days I should get the roof started, all individual shingles. (Oh Good grief)
    Shamus
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. justind

justind Member

Great job

Shamus, it is incredible how easy you make that look and sound, but when I think that is in HO scale I am amazed. The sawmill you are selling I assume is the lighted one you have published? If there was a couple more of you then you could have quite a business retailing your scratchbuilt structures...but of course, no time for trains. I think your Badger Creek Lumber Company is that much more realistic and unique for the fact that you have built by hand the majority of the structures, just as they would have done. My hat goes off to you and I hope everything goes smoothly in the construction of the New Badger (can't wait for the new pictures).
  3. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

OK,
    Your name's not really Shamus, is it?
    It's "Shame Us"!! :D
    Just kidding, my friend!
    Do you cut your own strip wood, or do you buy the pre-cut dimentional lumber?

Have a wonderful Christmas, Shamus!
    -Charlie-
  4. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi:
    Your proficiency and love of timber framing makes me think you must be Amish, or a re-incarnated 1600s carpenter.
  5. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Personally, I think he has pine splinters in his hands. Someone said that "once you get pine splinters in your hands, you can never get them out." This was said by a lawyer who became an East Texas lumber baron...can't remember his name, though...

-Rory
  6. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Now nearly finished as far as the main structure goes, got to make the loading ramp yet which comes out of the water.
    Happy New Year all.

Shamus
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

It just gets better and better Shamus. We are very fortunate to be able to see your workmanship. It could all be full scale for all we know. It's just you that says it is HO scale
    Do you make your people too?
  8. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Here’s the nearly finished H0 Sawmill, it is over 2’ long and 9” wide, Top photo shows the lot, only a roof and side to finish.
    Middle photo shows a log, which has travelled up the ramp and is waiting on the table.
    Bottom photo shows the loading ramp, which will eventually be in water.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Matthyro

Outstanding Shamus. No other superlative can do your work justice.
    A request though
    Is it possible for you to post pictures of the machinery inside the sawmill?
  10. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Wow, Shamus!
    I didn't realize from your initial pictures how large the structure was! That would be roughly 170' long in HO right? It's great that you're able to build an industry to scale like that!
    Wonderful, wonderful workmanship!
    Thanks for sharing!
  11. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Robin & Charlie, thanks for the comments guys, The sawmill is 2'-3" in length, work that out at 3.5mm to the foot!!! (GOOD GRIEF)
    Here's some photo's of the inside for you Robin. Couldn't use proper lighting as it was on the table downstairs, and didn't want to use flash as it would burn it out.

First one shows a birds eye view of the sawmill main platform, with the roof off.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• m1.jpg
      m1.jpg
      File size:
      83 KB
      Views:
  12. shamus

shamus Registered Member

This one shows the loading ramp and some of the machinery inside
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• m2.jpg
      m2.jpg
      File size:
      55.6 KB
      Views:
  13. shamus

shamus Registered Member

And the last ones show the angled log table. Notice the spikes are up when a log is on the table but down when the log has been moved to the live rolls.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• m3.jpg
      m3.jpg
      File size:
      85.3 KB
      Views:
  14. Matthyro

A BIG THANKS for those great interior pictures Shamus.
    I hope you don't mind if I use them to help me with my logging area on the MAT
  15. jimmybeersa

jimmybeersa Member

Heavenly ! ! !

Shamus ..... Greetings and a Happy Dizzy free New Year
    Once again your workmanship and imagination and photography are a joy to behold , cant wait to view the next batch,