Making a new Locomotive

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
I want to (try to) make a GP20D, at least something like it. You see I have 2 LL GP18's with low nose. It looks like it will work fine, as far as the body.
I was going to cut down the body to a RS-1 height, this will mean I need to cut down the weights. I'm not upset with that, these units aren't going to be dragging around long sets anyways. Soo... I think I'm all good there.
My problem is the motor frame. The motor frame will end up higher then the body.
What should I do to change the motor frame height? ...Different motor, perhaps from an actual Switcher (RS-1, sw1600, etc.)? ...Can the frame be cut down?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

davidmbedard

May 19, 2003
Calgary, Canada
www.davidbedard.com
I might consider using a Lifelike sw1200 chassis and lenthening it. I dont know how much you can remove from the Lifelike GP18 chassis.

You might of answered you own question though. Use an RS1 or 2 or 3 chassis, and thatll solve alot of your problems. You should be able to find a cheap Atlas one lying around. But I think the RS chassis might be a little wide.

Im rambling on.....as a kitbasher myself, Id say your in for a tough project.

David

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Thanks Dudes... I pretty much have been mulling this over for a few months. I usually think and picture things in my mind for a good period of time before I start on it. That way I've traveled most every path in my mind before tearing into whatever.

David- I wasn't looking at changing the chassis any. Just changing the motor, and the plastic that represents the loco, less metal work.

Hmmm... Anybody mind measuring their Switcher motor and letting me know the size?

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Shaygetz- I think the cab is what set me on it, too. Could be that it just looks funky. It has a look of those "Green Goat" experimental locos, too.

SD90- I'll try to remember pics. I like the step-by-step pics, too.

Tyson- Hey, bro! How's it by you? Gotten that one up on the table for pizza, yet?!

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Magicman- Thanks, but it would put me in the same place as far as the models electric motor frame. So, the chassis is fine; it's the internal parts that are the problem. If you look for pics of the GP20D you'll see they dropped the long hood to a level that can be easily seen over; like most Switcher Units. Plus, I already have the GP18's and a dead SD7 to donate plastic pieces to fill in the spaces when I move the cab forward.
Perhaps, once Atlas is back up I'll look through their parts and see if I can find a motor that'll fit.

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
David- Yes, it is. That is why I need to figure out a smaller replacement motor for the model.
The chassis and body I have all figured out. It is the motor and getting that to fit; or a replacement motor of proper size to fit in the altered hood height; that I'm blocked.

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Looks like I'm trying to contact Life-Like.
Ya'll wouldn't mind do a little cleaning on one "early" and give me some measurements (Metric would be fine)?
I'd need the length Front gear to Rear gear (the shafts that connect to the worm gears) and like that.
Hmmm... Actually a pic of the internals with a measuring stick next to it would be fine. I can figure size from there.