Makeover On A $1.50 Gondola (N Scale)

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Drew1125, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I got this little N scale gon at a swap meet for about $1.50 (US)
    I decided to see if I could improve it some…
    One thing I found kind of bizarre about this car was that the inside walls, & bed of the gon had been coated with this really thick gloss finish!
    I decided to attack this first…
    I started by soaking the bed with Easy-Lift-Off , & stripped the bed down to the bare plastic…then I “distressed” the bed with the point of a hobby knife, scoring out the grooves between the molded plastic “boards”…then I brush painted it with Floquil Roof Brown, & Polly Scale Grimy Black …After that I actually added some real dirt that had been sifted through a nylon stocking, & kind of ground it in with a stiff-bristled brush…
    I also gave the outside of the car a good healthy coat of rust & dirt, I filed down the bolsters to lower the car, & added some MT trucks & couplers…
    Now hopefully, it looks a little less “toy-like”, & a little more like a hard-working piece of revenue equipment!
  2. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

I'm convinced! The trucks and couplers set off a very nice weathering job. I'm amazed what you N scale guys accomplish!
  3. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

VERY NICE JOB Drew, BIG improvment:winki: . the inside of that gon looks FANTASTIC!:thumb:
  4. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Fantastic, $1.50 well spent.sign1 sign1

Really glad to see you back in the swing of things.:thumb: :thumb:
  5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Nice work, Drew, and my kind of modelling: more bang for your buck (-fifty). ;) :D

6. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Great job :thumb:, especially on the inside of the gon. It looks fantastic.
  7. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Nice work Drew! Looks great! Filing down the bolsters is a great idea and one I plan to use on some cheapie gons I have! Thanks!
  8. w8jy

w8jy Member

Thanks for the information, Drew. The car looks outstanding! Will give that technique a try this weekend.
  9. nachoman

nachoman Guest

big improvement! I'm impressed!

10. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

WOW Drew, that is simply an AMAZING improvment!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: