make your own black hole

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by outersketcher, Jul 3, 2007.

1. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

2. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Hmmmm...speaking of Black Holes....anyone remember that Disney movie The Black Hole? Would love to get a hold of a model of Maximillian, the bad robot. He was just too cool.

Thanks for the info outsketcher...interesting stuff.
  3. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I remember the film, I thought it was horrible. Sorry.

The 'red' robot would make a great model though.
  4. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

LOL, yeah, even at the age of 9 I could tell it was just a bad, bad movie. But Max, the red robot, made an impression on me. Silent, deadly, evil. He rocked!!
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

If I make one, hopefully it wont suck me in ;)
  6. outersketcher

I think there is a paper model out there of the ship. Can't remember if it's a free one tho.
  7. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

IMO The movie will remain a classic tho.
    The other two robots were cute!

Anyone remember where that model could be?
  8. kaitain

kaitain New Member

The robots that you're all thinking of are V.I.N.cent and Bob (see link Vincent & Bob from Disney's Black Hole). I'd quite like a model of V.I.N.cent if anyone plans to make one.

9. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Yep, thats the two. Vincent shouldn't be much of a problem, but the banged-up Bob could pose a challenge for a 'good' model.
  10. outersketcher

When I was a kid, I built a plastic model of the main ship... Produced by Revell I believe. Anyway, the ship in the movie was basicaly the equivelant of a giant square lightbulb covered in metal crossbeams.

Revell's solution was to just mold the pieces as solid panels.The builder was instructed to paint the whole thing yellow or white, and then dry-brush over the raised struts with black or silver paint to simulate the "lit glass panel look".

It didn't work... just looked like yellow paint.

I imagine the "lit glass" effect would be just as difficult to pull off in paper as well. As a painter, I know how hard it is to create the illusion of light without actually using light. How could it be rendered so that it looks like light instead of yellow paneling?

The advantage to using paper in this case would be the natural translucency of the paper itself. One could insert a grain of wheat bulb or a few LEDs set in a radiating pattern inside the body of the model and it would make the paper glow quite nicely I think. But I guess that would be cheating wouldn't it. : )

11. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Yvette Mimeux held up pretty good though. Even as a Kid I thought she was constructed well.
  12. Joe Brown

Joe Brown New Member

There's an excellent, accurized, build-up of the styrene model of the ship over at Starship Modeler:

Starship Modeler - Cygnus from The Black Hole

The model company MPC skipped one of the forward sections of the ship when they made the model; the ship in the link got corrected to be more accurate to the film.