Maintenance of way

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Matthyro, May 24, 2001.

  1. Matthyro

    Matthyro Will always be re-membered

  2. Matthyro

    Matthyro Will always be re-membered

  3. Matthyro

    Matthyro Will always be re-membered

  4. Woodie

    Woodie Active Member

    kewl.... we've got a cuppla gadgets like those in Sydney. They have these huge hydraulic poles on the side (like piledrivers) that plough down into the track ballast, vibrate the hell out of half the suburb to settle the ballast (9.99 on the Ricther Scale), then move on up the track and do it again!


    [This message has been edited by Woodie (edited 05-24-2001).]
  5. George

    George Member


    I don't see a CN emblem anywhere on that gear. Have they farmed out aspects of maintenance to contractors?

  6. Matthyro

    Matthyro Will always be re-membered

    George, on the second picture look at the top of the unit and you will see CN RAIL in black.
    On the third picture look at the line of diagonal white stripes and at the left you will see a small CN in black.

    NARA member #2 MAT
  7. jimmybeersa

    jimmybeersa Member

    Robin, Here in the RSA they are called "Tamping Machines" there are a few types of machines to do different jobs.watched one recently ,Lift the rail ,with the sleepers ( ties)vacumn up the dirt tamp the ballast into possition after resetting the rail, I believe they can also set the camber on the curves and grind burrs on the rail

Share This Page