mailing finished models

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by -Jim G, Jul 20, 2007.

1. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

I have been mailing completed models to museums and to individual owners of aircraft that I modeled. I have tried various types of packing materials with varying success. I am wondering what others have done to get models delivered unbroken.

Packing peanuts are a disaster for me. I almost always hear of a damaged model arriving.

My latest (and most successful) method has been to crumple tissue in the box around the model.

-Jim G
  2. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Guy Behind the Curtains

Plastic bags from the grocery store makes good padding. Cotton balls would seem ideal for what you're doing, though a bit more pricey.
  3. knife

knife Member

Get or make a box slightly larger than the model. Put the model in this box, then get a larger box and pack it full of crumpled newspaper, with the smaller box in the middle. This provides a crumple zone so the interior box and model don't get damaged from external shock. The model should have a little room (1/8 of an inch) to slide around inside the small box.
  4. I would be a bit wary of using newspaper for packing since that material is close to the same degree of density and hardness as the model. Cotton sounds almost ideal. You can pick up a big bag of balls at Wal-Mart for a buck or 2. I'd try to leave at least 2" of packing beyond the model all around the box. I mail and receive boxes constantly and boxes with 1 1/2" dents are common. If it's a real treasure to you, double pack it. Pack in a small box with cotton, then place this box in a larger box with loose-fill like peanuts. This is how the most precious breakables are shipped.
  5. badgerys

badgerys Member

Make a supportframe from cardboard that supports the model like a jig and glue it in the box.The idea of using a inner and a outer box with a damping layer in between ( bubblewrap works excellent ) guarantees prevention of transport damage.

Kind regards from Down Under

6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Try putting the model in a plastic bag and surround it with packing material. Partially inflate the bag and seal it so it remains inflated. Put the inflated bag in the shipping container and surround it with packing material.

I have received items that have partially inflated plastic thingys as the packing material. Partially inflated to keep them from blowing up in the cargo hold, I guess.:eek: :)
  7. sakrison

sakrison Member

I've received more than a dozen aircraft models for the Paper Models exhibit at the EAA Museum in Oshkosh. No packing method seems foolproof. I received a kit last week that was carefully packed and still badly mauled. In fairness, the "Do Not Bend" marking was not visible--after some knothead folded the package in half.:p

But what seems to work best is to cushion the model in packing popcorn or crumpled plastic grocery bags (cotton balls would work), and double boxing with at least 3 inches of crumple zone between the inside and outside boxes. Fill the crumple zone with crumpled newspapers, bags, or more popcorn.

Write "LIVE STINGING INSECTS" on the outside and insure it for about a zillion bucks. (Just kidding.):mrgreen:

One modeler sent his models double-boxed with the aircraft held in cradles made of styrofoam. Lots of work but they got here intact. Another sent me three models loose in a Rubbermaid storage box. They arrive with only a single bent prop blade. It's the luck of the draw.

Still, my guess is that the Post Office, UPS (OOPS), and FEDEX are all hiring the same apes that used to be featured in American Tourister Luggage ads.

Oh well. I'd rather have Postal workers mauling my mail than shooting at each other. Whatever it takes to get you through the day....

No worries,