Magnetic Uncoupling

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Here's a brainstorm I'd like to toss out for discussion - has anyone ever tried mounting a magnet on some kind of stick to use for uncoupling? It (the magnet and the stick) would have to be skinny enough to fit between the cars and get near the couplers, obviously.
BillK
PS - Once I worked on a project where we had brainstorming sessions scheduled on a regular basis. One of the rules for these sessions was that every idea was discussed, no matter how "dumb" -- we found that some of our best solutions came out of discussions of the dumbest ideas!

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
magnets

I've got exactly what you described. It is shaped like h , with magnets on the 2 bottom legs, pulling the metal parts of the couplers apart. I don't know if mine is homemade or commercial. I got it in a box of stuff. It does work good.

Lynn

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Does anyone know who makes/sells these "H"-uncouplers? Or can someone post enough details so that I could make one myself? )For N-scale)
Thnx
Bill K

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
I think you should be able to buy them at most hobby shops, but I don't know. It doesn't have to be an h. A piece of wood thin enough to slide down between the cars. Cut a slot in one end, wide enough amd deep enough to fit over the couplers. Small , or tiny magnets are glued to the inside of the legs. That is what uncouples, or pulls the couplers apart. If you have two magnets thin enough, hold them ,one pon each side and bring them in toward the couplers and you'll see the couplers pull apart. You'll then understand how to make one, very simple. I'm not the best at explaining, but I hope this helps. I think refrigerator magnets are strong enough.

Lynn