magnetic uncouplers

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Hi y'all
Let me add my bit to the 'uncoupler' stew.
On the 4x8 in the garage, I have only one magnematic installed, so must 'break 'em up' by hand in many places...at my HO club, we use small wood meat skewers, about 5" long, to uncouple... Kadee #5s are the standard...works ok, once you get the 'knack'.
The prob. with the same 'tool' on my home Ngauge-- I've already 'sprung out' the coupler on one end of an Atlas
Trainmaster...too much torque a few times, I guess...I either have to replace a spring (if that's possible) or replace with a MT coupler, which, so far, I haven't been able to get around here. I have a whole bunch for my rolling stock replacements, but neither store stocks the right 'style' for the body mount.
Since I aquired a VGN Trainmaster , the undecorated,damaged one is sitting in 'the Shops'
So, I decided I'd rather adjust coupler bar height etc. than replace entire damaged couplers, and will have magnets all over the "Real Layout".
I plan to have "trainmen" standin' round where ever there is an uncoupler..."let them lil' buggers ern ther keep!"
Glad to have been an inspiration, Cactus, and that you found a tecnique that worked well!
Bye now

VGN

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
sidways thinking

Hmmmmm. A bit of sideways thinking! :cool: Like the bit about using the dremil disk to cut the ties first to stop them buckling. And teh stell ruler to hold the coupler at the right height. Like those. They are commited to memory.

Well done! ;)