Magnetic couplers make me angry

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by 691175002, Jun 4, 2006.

1. 691175002

691175002 New Member

I am having some trouble getting magnetic couplers to work properly. I have installed some magne-matic wheelsets on some of my rolling stock just to test out how it works and so far no luck. When rolling over the magnet, the couplers move sideways quite a bit (~3mm in n scale) and when already uncoupled they move sideways enough to allow the pushing without coupling to the rolling stock but when they are coupled they just wont detatch whatsoever.
    Any tips?
  2. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

To uncouple, place the couplers over the magnet, then push the cars together slightly so that the two coupler's knuckles are not pulling against one another. This resulting slack will let the knuckles open, after which you can pull the cars apart.
  3. 691175002

691175002 New Member

I try that but the couplers wont uncouple no matter what. There dosn't seem to be enough sideways force to open the knuckles. I have lowered the pins as low as they can go without hitting stuff.
  4. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

no knowing that tpye of coupler as I'm in HO, but have you made shure that the inside of the knuckles there is no flash left. if it is not smooth the couplers won't work correctly.