Magic Of Illusion

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Drew1125, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Well, I decided I wanted to photo my kitbashed N scale houses in some kind of scenic situation, & not having a suitable spot on the layout, I just threw some stuff together on a scrap piece of foam.
    I thought the resulting pics were kinda cool!
    You could almost believe that this was a large scene...that maybe that road actually goes somewhere in the distance...

Attached Files:

2. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

OK, time to shatter the illusion...
    Here's what the whole thing really looks like...

Attached Files:

3. BDC

BDC Member

Hey Charlie -

Next time don't shatter so hard! That hurt!:D

Seriously, just by looking at the first picture, you'd have no idea that it was on such a small piece of property. Looks good!
  4. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Charlie, Just shows what can be done in a small place. You could almost photograph small scenes and call it Illuminating thoughts.

Shamus
    [​IMG]
  5. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

That's awesome, Charlie! How did you make that dirt road? And what is that dead tree on the left? Did you use a prefab armature, or is that something "real?"

-Rory
  6. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Rory,
    The "dirt" road is a thin piece of cardboard (from an empty kit box) that I tried to blend into the surrounding scenery with Elmer's Wood Filler. Then I painted it Polly Scale Concrete.
    The dead tree is a plant from the flower bed that we always call "live-forever", but I believe the correct name is seedum (sp?)
    Shamus,
    I have to give Woodie the credit for giving me the idea, with that shot he made of his layout, with the out of focus poster on the wall behind it. That started a little discussion we had about "illusion"
  7. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Well done!

Well done Charlie! :) :)

Have you got any more from different angles? That's a good idea what you have done too. Especially for newbies. Enables you to get the hang of scenery etc on a small scale before attempting the major effort.

Any others got any "illusions" for us?
  8. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Just an idea, this one for my new bridge.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. shamus

shamus Registered Member

And here is the bridge, it's an "A" frame type.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Here's how Badger Creek looks now !!!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1d.jpg
      1d.jpg
      File size:
      80.2 KB
      Views:
  11. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

WOW!!

Ouch!!
    Shamus...now THAT is a shattered illusion! :(
    Need to borrow my shop-vac? :)
    What an incredible bridge!!
    Do you use published plans, or draw up your own?
    That really whets my desire to see more of "The Sequel"!
    I'll be t that embarking on this new project has you as excited as a kid in a candy...uh...I mean...train store!
  12. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Charlie, I cannot wait to get the new one started, but have to wait until Jan 2nd before I can clear the room. All scenery is now out and now I can take off the track & Points just to see what can be used again. This will be the third time these tracks & Points have been used over the last 5 years.
    As for the timber tresle, I made it just by looking at a photo of one, no drawings as such, just made my own up on the computer.

Shamus
    [​IMG]
  13. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Well, I think I'll crawl back into my little hole now, content with my own mediocrity....:rolleyes:
    Seriously though, old friend, thanks for showing me a high standard to strive for!
  14. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

What have you done?

Shamus,

What have you done? Have a little temper tanty??? :mad: :mad: hehe

All that, and then put a hammer through it!!

Oh well... on to the next one! Keep us informed of progress, of course!
  15. Railery

Railery Member

Hi Charlie,
    Very nice scene. Amazing the ground detail for N scale. Looks great. It can be fun making dioramas and snaping pics of them. i like your own little mediocrity.
    Greg.