Magazines

n-scaler-dude

The one I've started buying is simply called "N-Scale", put out by Hundman Publishing. It comes out every 2 months. I'm not sure if normal newstands or bookstores carry it or not, I buy it at my local hobby store. You can also find back issues on ebay.

It's a very nice magazine.:)

RI541

I'll second N-scaler-dude,

most of the time the other magizine's will give the reduction sizes on the blue print. If the blue print is in HO just reduce the size by 54.4 % and you have N-scale.

railohio

And nobody is going to mention N Scale Railroading, published by Kirk Reddie and gang? BAH! Also published bimonthly, on months that N Scale isn't. I'll leave personal opinions as to which magazine is better aside for now.

n-scaler-dude

I didn't mention it because I wasn't aware of it:confused:

I just started buying N-Scale and they must have been out of the current edition of the one you mentioned. I'll have to look for it too.:)

jkristia

I subscribe to both, and I like both. I find that “N Scale Railroading” usually has better color pictures and more details of the layouts, whereas “N Scale” is more about kit bashing or scratch building, in my opinion. I have subscribed to both for a year now, and I will re-new both subscriptions. If I were to choose only one, it would be “N Scale Railroading” though.

Jesper

n-scaler-dude

If you plan on looking for back issues of N-Scale on ebay, be prepared to pay good money. I just paid $40+ for 18 back issues. But still, it's cheaper than ordering them directly from the magazine itself.

RI541

The best place to get back issues is at larger train shows. THen you should be able to pick them up dirt cheap.

I've seen stacks of differant magazines for a buck a piece. or a whole year for ten and fifteen dillers.

Don't forget the local hobby shops. I picked up an N Scale Railroading mag a while back just because it had an article on SW1500s (and to see how the "other half" lives...:D). I paid 50 cents for it and it was in good condition.

Tom F

n-scaler-dude

I've seen stacks of differant magazines for a buck a piece. or a whole year for ten and fifteen dillers.

You can always find Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman at various places very cheaply. I have bought them by the boxfull (50-100 copies) for under $10. My local hobby shops have them for .75 each, but that's about the extent of the variety you find. Sometimes you can get TRAINS magazine also.

I also managed to find an almost complete run of Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette for $3 at a local flea market. Never been interested in narrow gauge RR'ing, so they went up on ebay by the year. Imagine my suprise when the total rose to just over $450. I'll have to go some train shows and see if I can find some more.;) ;) ;)