magazines - useful reading material???

msh

Paul's recent post on the BCR making Model Railroading Magazine's cover has made me wonder to which mag I should subscribe. I've ordered a free copy from them to check it out.

I had a subscription with "Model Railroader", but cancelled it after three issues - 80% ads, 10% fluff, 10% useful. It made good reading material for the porcelain library (the loo, right Paul?) and that's about it.

What do you guys think??

Vic

Hi MSH, I'm sure that all the mags contain useful information to some degree or another. So the one that would contain the most information as to your area of interest would probably be the one to go with. I dropped MR for the same reasons you did plus the fact that it just didn't contain much on narrow gauge. I'll still pick up a copy at the newstand occasionally if there is an aritcle that I'm intereseted in. Same goes for RMC (better than MR in my opinion) and the others but I only subscribe to Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazzette.

Originally posted by Vic
Hi MSH, I'm sure that all the mags contain useful information to some degree or another. So the one that would contain the most information as to your area of interest would probably be the one to go with.

Vic's advice is right on target, MSH. My impression has been that your main area of interest is in modern railroading, Class 1 ops, and so forth. I seem to recall from an old thread about magazines at RR-L, that there were a few titles that tend to focus more on that aspect of modeling than others. I don't recall the names of the magazines right at the moment, but perhaps others reading this thread will.

Like Vic, I subscribe to the NGSL Gazette because that's where my modeling interests lie. (In fact, I have every issue since 1981!)In my opinion, the Gazette is the best edited and most informative magazine in the hobby. But its focus is narrow (pun intended, I suppose), and the content generally doesn't appeal to modelers who are interested in modern-day railroading.

Paul's Model Railroading seems to have a good blend of content, but I seldom ever see it because it's not distributed on newsstands. I think it's sold only in LHS's - which are virtually non-existant in my area.

Anyhoo... the bottom line is that there are lots of magzines out there. You just need to do some browsing and find the one that fits your interests and abilities.

C

Catt

I buy MR,Model Railroading,RMC ,Nscale ,N scale Railroading ,and of course the GAZETTE (rather narrowminded don'tcha know :D).I'll even buy some of Hundman's other rags if he has something of interest to me.

Since my interests range from modern day railroading to old time narrow gauge one item on my todo list is a database of all the articles of interest to me at a given time.

cidchase

I'm subscribed to MRR and will renew. MRR has a very wide focus for both newbies (like me) and more experienced modellers. It does have a high % of ads. I read over most of them, they inform me of what's available, not that I'm buying much. It's reviews are more or less objective, and the photo articles are quite informative. (I'm aware of the Electrical Basics snafu in the Nov issue, which was SHAMEFUL. JMHO):mad:

RMC will be my next subscription, prolly in the spring. It seems to be a little deeper, technically, and geared to more experienced mrr'rs. :)

Like Vic said, they all contain useful information!!
:D :D

Vic

Hey Casey, I got to tell you this....:D ...this happened several years ago....One issue of NG&SLG never showed up...I watch the mail box for them:D I called NG&SLG about it and they sent me another one. :) About a year later the missing issue arrived:eek: WITH A BULLET HOLE IN IT!!!:eek: with a note from a postal inspector that it had been held for evidence in the investigation of an "incident"!!! :eek: :eek:

H

horailfan

Maybe I`m the odd one but I wait for MR to come in the mail every month. I have learned alot from the magazine and I like the adds in order to see what the new products are and what roadnames are available. I`ll probably never give up on the subscription and I turn in different initials in order to get the new member price,what a savings! I enjoy every month. Jerry

Tankertoad70

There's lotsa good hobby publications out there and one needs to sample each to find out which one will contribute to his interests..;)

I have subscribed to MR for 30 years and will continue to do so because it meets my needs and interests. I also get Diesel Era for the same reason.:cool: Not every issue of these two mags is of high interest to me, but they contain much useful info for me.:D

Vic

Costly Mistakes

Originally posted by cidchase
I'm aware of the Electrical Basics snafu in the Nov issue, which was SHAMEFUL. JMHO):mad:
:D :D

Whoooo Wheeee!...That must have been a "doozie":D :D

But to the point...be careful when building electronic/electrical projects from articles in the model mags. Its not that the authors don't have it right...sometimes something gets lost in the editing/type setting operations and the proof readers don't have the knowledge to catch it. Better to wait until the next issue before starting on one to see if there are any additions or corrections from the author.

Originally posted by Vic
Hey Casey, I got to tell you this....:D ...this happened several years ago....One issue of NG&SLG never showed up...I watch the mail box for them:D I called NG&SLG about it and they sent me another one. :) About a year later the missing issue arrived:eek: WITH A BULLET HOLE IN IT!!!:eek: with a note from a postal inspector that it had been held for evidence in the investigation of an "incident"!!! :eek: :eek:

Vic, that sounds like another one of those "disgruntled postal workers" using the mail bundles for target practice.:eek: :eek: :eek: :D But to use a Gazette is not only criminal in and of itself, but it shows a distinct lack of good taste on the part of the shooter. :D :D :D

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I subscribed to MR for years but discontinued it after recognizing frequent repetition of "how-to" articles. Obviously there are just so many topics along this line and its important to refer to them periodically for new readers. Not to say that each issue doesn't offer something new and different, ( I like the layout pictorials) I just prefer now to look them over at the public library instead of buy. Once in a while I'll see an issue that really appeals to me and I'll go out and purchase it.
I agree with Cid that RMC seems aimed at the more experienced modeler. Once in a while I buy one on those as well after thumbing through it at the news stand. Even though I model in HO I've also bought issues of "N Scale" which has excellent pictures and articles.
Ralph

jon-monon

Originally posted by msh
10% fluff, 10% useful. It made good reading material for the porcelain library (the loo, right Paul?) and that's about it.

What do you guys think??

The 10% fluff is there for a good reason, MSH, they know where you're reading it, and they know sooner or later you'll run out of the other fluffy paper!

"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experiance."

You asked what we think :D :D :D

Vic

To read one's Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette while in attendance of the "porcelain library" is certainly ungentlemanly and considered a capital crime.

This fine publication is best read while traveling upon the rails in one's private car or in the drawing room of one's mansion while attired in a smoking jacket and ascot and sipping upon a 100 year old malt.:D :D :D

clumber

Originally posted by Vic

This fine publication is best read while ......... in the drawing room of one's mansion while attired in a smoking jacket and ascot and sipping upon a 100 year old malt.:D :D :D

I refer to read it in the drawing room of my castle, whilst my army are keeping the lesser mortals who can't get it away by throwing hot oil over them.
Brian
(The Duke of Deadwood City)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
But to use a Gazette is not only criminal in and of itself, but it shows a distinct lack of good taste on the part of the shooter.

Casey, the shooter just needed a narrow target.

When I first started getting magazines, Model Railroader was probably the best on the market. In fact, if I compare the older issues (pre 1970), with what's out today, they are still up there!
At the same time, Railroad Model Craftsman was'nt the quality it has become. Of the two, RMC is by far on top now.
NG&SLR is a good mag, but too "Rio Grande", too often. On the other hand, they ran a beautiful series of articles, documenting the history of the Uintah/Sumpter Valley 2-6-6-2's, and some neat information on the Sierra Railway.
I had the good fortune of spending about 45 minutes, one on one, with Bob Hundman, at the National Train Show in St. Louis last year. I had a couple of my kitbashes, and we discussed variuos techniques of bashing and building. His Mainline Modeler, has some very interesting building projects.
I am fortunate in that my LHS, Ron's Mundelein Hobbies, not only has most of the major mags, he has "counter copies", so everyone can browse the pages each month. I have purchased copies of magazines, simply because there was one full color photo of a prototype I'd never seen color shots of.
We all have different interests, at different levels, and there are magazines out there that provide what each of us needs to enjoy, and grow in, this hobby.
Pete