Magazine Swap

Rickoshay

Feb 19, 2006
Doylestown, PA
I am a brand new member, just joined today. I started a HO layout in my basement 15 years ago and got a 4X8 platform going with a side wall paltform layed out but not working.

I now want to get back into modeling and am considering HOn3 since my love is Narrow gauge, inparticularly Denver and Rio Grande.

I am a private pilot and when I went back to flying again 16 years ago I stopped railroading because of the expense. Anyway, my idea is that someone out there is just getting started flying who already was a model railroad guy. Surely that person would have many, many model railroad magazines, just like I have airplane magazines and therefore we could do some kind of swap.

In any case I am interested in obtaining any old model railroad magazines, especially on narrow gauge railroading. I don't want to eliminate HO magazines since that is what I have now and may not change. I also think that most model articles would apply to any scale for general purposes.

In conclusion, if anyone out there is interested in swapping aviation mags. for railroad mags. please let me know. Or if anyone has a collection of model railroad mags. they would like to see go to a good home please contact me.

My email address is: stonyrick@zerizon.net

Rickoshay :)

Jac's Lines

Jan 28, 2005
Rochester, NY
If you are an ebayer, you can sometimes get a great deal on older issues of some RR magazines. I picked up 80 issues (almost seven full years) of Railroad Model Craftsman from the 1960s-70s at Christmas time for less than $50 plus reasonable shipping. RMC has some narrow gauge feature and a decent beginner scratchbuilding plan in almost every issue. It looks like there are some affordable and large lots up for sale now under the keywords "Railroad Model Craftsman" and "model railroader". As always with ebay, just read the shipping details carefully so you don't get scammed.

This isn't the swap you're looking for, but I found this to be a great and inexpensive way to build up a library quick. Just a thought...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome to The Gauge, Rick:wave: Most of my slim gauge work is freelanced HOn30 (Ho scale on N gauge track and mechanisms). Having a large collection of old MRs and RMCs, I can tell you that there is not a lot in them specifically aimed towards prototype narrow gauge. Your best bet would be to look up past issues of The Narrow Gauger and The Slim Gauge Gazzette, periodicals that ran mostly in the 70s and early 80s.

Rickoshay

Feb 19, 2006
Doylestown, PA
Thanks for the Ebay idea. I did go there today after I posted my message about magazine swapping. I will check out the magazines and places you suggested.

Rickoshay
Rick Eggleston