Mach 7 Paper Airplane anyone?

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by NYC Irish, Jan 22, 2008.

1. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

This is beyond cool..

A "Paper Airplane" to be launched from the ISS and hopefully survive its flight at speeds or Mach 7 + to Earth...

Personally I would have had Dhanners Design it...

A paper plane might not seem ideally suited to space travel, but a Japanese engineering professor is collaborating with origami masters to design a small paper spacecraft that could be launched from the International Space Station and survive a descent to Earth.
    A prototype was successfully tested in a wind tunnel last week.

"This origami airplane might some day actually fly," says Jim Longuski, an expert in aeronautics and astronautics at Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, in the US.

Origami spaceplane to launch from space station ::: Pink Tentacle
  2. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

That would be neat.:D
    Space Ship One did not need a lot of heat protection because Rutan's design did not descend fast enough to create a lot of friction. SS1 is a lot bigger than that origami plane would be.:)
  3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

We could fold a bigger paper place in space, that's sure >_<
  4. dhanners

dhanners Member

That would be mondo cool. Given that the Earth's surface is mostly water, though, I'm wondering about being able to find where it lands. And once it enters some of those currents in the upper atmosphere, something that light could stay aloft for days or weeks, no?

Then again, maybe the thing could be made out of some sort of super-duper radar-reflective paper so it could be easily tracked.
  5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

--A radio beacon on it would do nicely...
  6. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

It'd be nice to get the instructions to make a replica as well. Probably after it lands though, otherwise you'll have bunches of fakes on Ebay.
  7. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

HAs out hobby finally reached Hyper Sonic speeds?

In all fairness its a gonner as far as finding afterwards...however as a kid I did launch a few helium balloons with my name an address in them, 2 replies from what I remember, One from Normandy and another from Rouen, outside paris...

Not too bad eh?

John John
  8. Zathros

Zathros Guest

If they can get the folds right maybe it will "fold" space:)
  9. Regie

Regie Member

There was a suggestion on the (I think) New Scientist website that a good approach would be to launch a few hundred or more of these so that distribution of landing sites could be used to map wid currents and such in the same way as all those plastic ducks that fell into the Pacific a few years ago were used to map ocean currents (as well as making it more likey that some of them would be found).

On the other hand, that could well be regarded as really expensive littering...
  10. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

This reminds me of something...

Just a few months ago, I folded and flown a paper airplane (the conventional dart) and wrote a wish there before throwing it into a valley near the resthouse where we were making our annual school retreat, because I was in some sort of a "fight" with my best friend...

The paper plane caught some good thermals just seconds after leaving, and it flew for a good 5 minutes plus and travelled a distance more or less 100 meters from the point where I threw it... the valley depth was about 100-300 feet...

and after a few days, we made up, like it didn't happened at all... :-D

I can't resist posting her picture here... so I hope you guys bear with me...

her name's Sarah by the way... :-D

ok this is getting waaay OT... back to the topic... hehe...

This idea seems farfetched, I doubt that the paper plane they want to throw from the ISS would survive its mach 25 dip into the atmosphere... but then that plane would be very light and will have a high drag ratio... so who knows...

its a simple experiment, so I guess it wont hurt anyone, or anyone's budget... :-D
  11. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

That's a nice way to make pen pals sir... :-D