mac user

Discussion in 'Software' started by sagunt, Aug 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sagunt

sagunt New Member

what can i do to make more models available for myself? that is: what software is known to not work on mac? what seems to work well?

and what can i use to design on my machine yet still share with all you poor pc users?:wink: oh, i'm the one who's stuck right now... :? but wouldn't you be interested in a model of canterbury cathedral in 1:10? :shock:

2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Provided your images are in one of the 'universal' formats, ie pdf, jpeg etc, anyone should be able to read your data. I know sometimes things don't quite work, but usually there are ways to correct these problems. If you can avoid using 'special' fonts, ie turn the letters into a graphic image when you are happy they are OK, that will help a great deal! You can always ask forum members to try out your designs, and that includes checking the file works on different systems and computers. There are lots of members with PCs, Mac, Linux and others here!

I am afraid I use a PC, so I can't advise on Mac-specific software, but I am sure some others will give good advice! is a good start, and available in several formats; and it is free!

Tim P

PS Canterbury Cathedral in 1:10?! Yes Please!! On second thoughts, make that 1:100, and I am sure it will be very well received!!

ARMORMAN Guest

Being a Mac user myself, I have to go to a friend's house to use his PC to decompile what i build on the Mac. Here's what I do:

Build the model in Animation Master (it exports.3ds and dxf quads) or some other 3d prog. Export the file. Go to somone's house who's got a PC and decompile the model (Pepakura). Take the model back home and detail it in Illustrator (still trying to find a good UV mapper).
  4. Darwin

Darwin Member

You only think you have problems. Try running an Amiga.
  5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Pah! Spectrum rules...

Tim P
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Belay that last sneer! What you really want is a drawing board! Pencils??! Pah! They're for sissies! Cut your own trees down with a flint axe, I say!

Tim P

PS Sorry, us Brits are not used to this humidity. Fellow Brits will understand....
  7. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Seriously, can you not run some kind of emulation software on a Mac? I know one designer who runs Rhino on a Mac. Looks fabulous of course, but then it cost twice as much, to run half as fast. But it looks fabulous, of course.....

Tim P
  8. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

10. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

3D design & unfolding for Mac and PC

I followed up on the tip by Ashrunner, the Touch3D and TouchCAD programmes. The additional incentive was that I am a Mac user from Sweden, and these programs are Swedish made. So I called the guys directly. Here's the information I gathered (and I do not yet have the capacity to evaluate it properly).

These are two different programmes. Both of them run on mixed platforms (Windows, Mac Classic, and Mac OSX). There are demos available (print and export functions disabled), so you can easily get the hang of them. There are also a multitude of instructional videos that come with the demos.

From our conversation it developed that you should really go for the later and more advanced TouchCAD programme. It has the ability to import and manipulate background images (such as plan side-, top- and frontal views). This function is available also in Touch3D, but not as advanced. It also seems that the underlying principle of TouchCAD is the one that is being developed further (has to do with something about surfaces rather than a number of triangles or squares).

Prices are high, but if you can show an affiliation with a university or educational institution (either as teacher or student I suppose), they come down rather steeply. More info on the following sites:

TouchCAD (main site)

TouchCAD (latest beta version, shipping now, exclusive link!)

Touch3D (the simpler programme)

Now, I downloaded all versions, but I think I'll have a closer look only on the latest TouchCAD version, since that seems the way to go.

The advantage of this programme, it seems to me, is that it is platform independent, shows a solid development history, lots of examples that prove its value (ballon skins, sails, boats being built, etc.), easy to export unfolded files into Illustrator and Photoshop, plus a very pedagogical approach with lots of instructional videos.

Here's one of the many promotional pictures on their website, of a boat actually being built from these drawings and unfoldings (and you can go look for more examples here):

I'm not sure I'm ready to take this step, but boy, am I tempted already!

11. PenguinLabs

PenguinLabs New Member

I work on a Mac myself. I have a bunch of spreadsheets that compute the unfolding for me. It isn't the most elegant of solutions, but it works for me, especially since I do all of the texturing afterwards in Illustrator and Photoshop. I've played around with the demo for Touch3D and it looks good. Form-Z also has an unfold function, but Touch3D gives you better control over the unfolding. I'm developing a program for my own use, but it will be quite some time before it will be available to the public.

12. Gil

Gil Active Member

Very tempting! Impressive unfolding control..., extremely important to card modeling. Keep us posted.

Best regards, Gil
  13. DJPinter

DJPinter Trusted Confidant

14. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

This thread has been dead since 2004!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.