Ma & Pa signal

Discussion in 'Trackside Photos & Details' started by budo, Jun 23, 2007.

1. budo

budo New Member

Hi All
    Need help on this trackside signal. Am scratch building the Delta station of the Ma & Pa and working from a variety of sources. In George Hilton's book of "The History of the Maryland & Pennsylvania RR " on page 104 there is a photograph taken in front of the station showing an upright post look like maybe 10 ft. tall with a signal which has a "paddle" with 2 circles on it that appear to be white. Need to know first what did the signal indicate. What color were the circles and were they the same color on both sides or maybe white on one side and red on the other ?
    I confess my ignorance about this but would like to be accurate on this project.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  2. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I'm not sure if this will be of any use (the site is English, but references are also to North American practice. Illustrations too. :smile:
    Early Railway Signals

My guess would be that it's an "Order Board", indicating that the crew had to pick up orders before proceeding. These were often "hooped-up" to the crew on-the-fly, unless the rulebook required that the crew sign for the orders, in which case the train would be required to stop.

Btw, :welcome1: to the Gauge.

3. budo

budo New Member

Good lead to that signal site drwayne. Did not see any exactly like mine but as you say it probably is an "order board". Maybe some of the Ma&Pa fans have seen this and can add.
    BTW thanks for the welcome.