M53 Smartgun

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ltla9000311, Mar 8, 2009.

1. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

OK call me a masochist, but I found an M53 Smartgun from Aliens in the Google warehouse. With everything else I'm doing I wonder if I don't have Attention Deficit. BUT here are my questions:

Is it wrong to use a 3D model from the Google warehouse for a paper model? I would give full credit to the original designer of the mesh.

What was the actual dimensions of the Smartgun? Yes I am thinking of making a 1/1 scale version of it.

Just wondering if anyone would like to see something like this.
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

3. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

Yes, Stevo is correct, it was based on an MG42 covered in motorcycle parts and attached to a steady-cam.
  4. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Correct on all the above. :thumb: I just was wondering if the Colonial Space Marine Manual (I know that's not the name I just can't remember it right now) might have some dimensions. That way I could scale this thing to the right size.
  5. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

the overall length of the Mg42 is 1.12m, or 44.1 in, if that helps.
  6. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Get permission

To answer your question of using the 3D model, if the owner hasn't posted permission to use it, it's generally a good idea to ask permission. I've never had anyone refuse permission. Other than that, you should also check the Terms and Conditions of Use for the Google Warehouse itself.

7. Averjoe

Averjoe New Member

According to the Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual, the length of the M53 is 122cm and the barrel length is 54.5cm.
  8. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

You can easily use the model as a reference for building your own so as to see what parts relate to each other in what way.