M2-F2 Design Thread

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Please Review and comment on attached Jpeg, (Before I do the parts).

2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Will we get a tiny Steve Austin (6 Million Dollar Man) with them?:grin:

Can't wait!

3. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I was thinking....

Maybe We can paste the face of Our Own Steve A. into the seat, (LOL)!

I have all the parts laid out, (I will get to painting soon).

4. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

5. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hello All,

You REALLY don't want my face staring at you during and after putting all that effort into one of Carl's wonderful designs...LOL.

I would appreciate it if you could get a picture of Jerry Gentry or Bruce Peterson for the pilot. Jerry was a friend of my Dad's, and was one of the test pilots. I had the privilege of meeting him at SETP one year, and was a wonderful person.

Bruce Peterson is of course the pilot who was in the crash when the gear didn't deploy fast enough (the opening sequence of $6M Man). I had a chance to meet him at SETP in 1991, but I knew it would make him uncomfortable to discuss the lifting bodies, so I backed off. I really wish now that I would have known about the other aspects of his career so that I could introduce myself...oh well. He just recently passed away.

Sorry for the babbling, but wanted to put my 2 cents in, and the reasons behind them.
  6. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Good Ideas!

At this scale, I think it would be hard to tell the features, (One from the Other).

I will see what I can dig up!

7. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Are you designing at 1:32?

Your JPEGs look really good. Enough detail to be interesting. Not too big, not too small.
  8. Zathros

Zathros Guest

What an awesome subject. I have always loved this aircraft. Good Luck!
  9. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I really like it, too. Thanks again for all your work, Carl! :)
  10. Nice.. Realy like those liftingbodies...Thought about doing one myself..Cheers, Billy
    Is this what you mean Steve?
  11. I found out that the name of the pilot in the first picture is John Manke, but on this picture it's from left to right; Milt Thompson, Chuck Yeager,Don Malick and Bruce Peterson on the M2-F1 , it's the one without an engine, use for tow and gliding tests.
  12. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

It'll be a wonderful plane to design. --C'mon, get started~
  13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I was thinking the EXACT same thing before I read the reply. My favorite show as a kid. I even had the figures.

Surfduke. That looks to be the start of an awesome X-plane design.

What scale?
  14. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

What You have shown is the M2-F3. I will do that some time in the future as a option to the M2-F2 build files. After the M2-F2 crash, (They added the middle vert. rudder).

15. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

What Scale Should it be?

This is the first time I have done a plane. What scale would be normal, (For this size subject)?

16. You're right Carl, I was trying to find an answer to Steve's request for the pilot's photograph
    As I'm desinging my own plane, I asked the same question about scale; Rob Carleen pointed out that 1:48 and 1:33 are the most used scales, and it's always easier to scale down than up...Maybe 1:33, for a small craft like this?
    Cheers, Billy
  17. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Sounds good!

1:33 it will be. What plane are You designing, (If I may ask?)?

18. I'm doing the X-2, (the first aircraft to officialy reach space) ..in the "look mama, no computer" way, the thread is below...
    Cheers, Billy
  19. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

Serious thought was given to flying a crewed M2-F2 or F3 on a Saturn 1b or apparently even a Titan 3C, according to a pic I found recently. Milt Thompson discusses this in his book.
    Would make a killer model. So please make the parts !