M-T Couplers on Passenger Cars

Skunk Valley

I recently received a set of the Arnold Rapido heavyweight passenger cars. I'd like to convert them with Micro Trains couplers.

Questions: Which coupler numbers to use?
Operating on 18 inch radius minimum, body mount or truck mount?
Anything else I need to know?

thanks, Crew!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jack,
I haven't done passenger equipment in N scale, but....18"radius in N scale is the same as 33" radius in HO. Body mount couplers work well on passenger equipment, on a 33" radius curve in HO, so should not be a problem on 18" in N scale.
pete

Skunk Valley

billk, checked it out. They list 3 model numbers: 1049, 1128, and 1129, apparently all for truck mounting. I'm not familiar enough with the different numbers to know which I might prefer.

Sumpter250, kinda what I was thinking. I've been in HO for a few years, and body mounting seems to be the way to go in that scale. Since I'm just now feeling my way iNto this, thought I'd see if there's any experience to draw on.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jack,
I always bodymount in HO, and since getting into N, have been doing the same. So far, no major problems.
Pete

jon-monon

Truck mount offers better tight radius operation (as far as the truck itself will swing), but is more likely to derail when pushed or backing up.

Also, I hear, but have never had the problem myself, it is not good to mix the two types on one train.

Not an N scaler, but I would side with Pete, body is better overall.

Pooh Bah
I used bodymounts on ConCor streamliners on radii down to 12". 18" should be a breeze. You can adjust the mounting so that car spacing is as tight or loose as you require (but you're stuck after you fix it in place.)

I body-mounted MT 1015's on the GN great dome lounge car I built, and it works fine. Just ensure you check the installed height versus a MT coupler height guage.

Clerk

My Foster Daughter bought me a set of Arnold Rapido Heavyweights just before Christmas. I got the complete 3 axel truck with coupler for MT and they work fine. I even have one 14 inch curve entering the yard and they go around it fine.