.lwo/.3ds readers

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Dnlgtr, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

Does anyone know of a freeware reader for .lwo or .3ds files??

I have found some nice models in these file formats. but the tech I talked to at Curcuit City told me the the 3D Max Studio software was about $1000.oo !!!!!!!
    (he did tell me about a posible 30 day free trial, but.... what if I find so many i need more time??)
    I can't afford that!! I can't afford 1/10% of that!

Here is the site: http://dmi.chez-alice.fr/modelstruck1.html

Click on the title under the picture to download the model, Click on the pic to go to the home page of that designer for MORE models!!

Help I would like to build some of these!!
  2. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Check out a program called Anim8tor. It says it can import and modify .3ds and .lwo files. Maybe it will do what you are looking for.:)
  3. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

You can use pepakura to open both file types. The pepakura viewer is available for free.
    I have downloaded a couple of the models from the site though and cant seem to actually find a model to build, There are .lwo files but there isn't any parts or instructions so i am not sure. When I load the .lwo file it says there are too many parts and it takes a long time for it to separate the parts and it looks like a mess when its done (that is if your computer has enough memory to do it).

EDIT: I figured it out i think.
    These are complex 3d models, the maersk trailer alone has over 14000 parts. The pictures on the site are renders of the models and not actual paper models. Any of the models on that page would take alot of work to turn into a paper model.
    To give you an idea of how many parts that is the USS Missouri that I am curently working on is as far as I know the largest paper model available (most parts, not largest in size) and has just over 7000 pieces. It is taller than my six year old daughter so to make that trailer with that many parts I hope you have a truck stop available to park it at!
  4. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

Thanks for the help. I already have Anim8or(9c), Pepakura, Neomesh, DogWaffle And many others.
    But I am not sure about opening any of them yet as I might have to erase my Hard Drive and reinstall the os.
    I have all intsallers burned to DVD so I can re-load them.
    I did try to open one of the models but did not get Pepakura as an option. I may try it.
  5. Kaz

Kaz Member

6. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

I have been able to open the 3ds version of the Berliet 770 Fire Engine with Anim8or v9.
    Pepakura, Arumc2c, Blender and IRFanView would Not open them. Some give the message this software does not support .lwo extension.

Blender gives the Message; This is a tif/djv file with an incorrect file extention. Do you want to change the extention??
    I click yes and get: Cannot change extention.

Any other ideas/options??
  7. Jim Lionmane

Jim Lionmane Member

This is maybe not what you are looking for, as it is not freeware, but I have used it successfully a couple of times.

AccuTrans3D from micromouse:

You get a 30 day unlimited trial period, after which it would be nice to pay the registration fee.

Kind regards

Jim Lionmane
  8. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

I ask for freeware because I don't have a way to pay for downloads.

I don't have a credit card Or a bank account!!

The account and card are in my mother and sister's names.

Plus in many instances the software will be used less than 5 times in an entire year!

In that case I can't justify paying for someting I will get so little use out of!
  9. hpept

hpept Member

Why not trying Blender? It opens both formats with the necessary plugins and, most of all, is free!!! I think it worths a try....
  10. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

I must not have the right plug-in. Because All I get is a quick flash of command promt page, and nothing. Blender won't open the .lwo files. or blenderplayer

What next??