Lutjens 1:250 Wilhelmshaven

dansls1

May 7, 2007
Here's my build thread of the Charles Adams Class Destroyer Lutjens. I apologize in advance for the photo qualities - I'm hoping at some point I'll figure out how to improve on them ;)

As for the model - I bought it as a 'practice' model to work on my abilities to eventually do the Bismarck. This is smaller and Wilhelmshaven lists it as less difficult, so seemed like a good model to do.

So I started by cutting a piece of foam board that will be used for both the build and display:
build1.jpg

From there, standard ship model innards:
build2.jpg

build3.JPG

C

cgutzmer

That is coming together quite well! I also think your pictures are pretty good. The last couple could use a little more light is all - too much dependence on the flash from the camera. I have found that if you have enough light so the flash does not go off then you are good to go. If you need the flash then try to get another light source in the room. Natural sunlight is the best of course but not always available. Sometimes it can be a bit harsh too. I have found the flash can easily wash the colors out in a model but it looks like yours rendered pretty well. Thanks for all the pics. I am looking forward to more :)
Chris

dansls1

May 7, 2007
Thanks for the comments, advice - and for the pictures ;). As far as I know, the only instructions that exist for this ship are diagrams, so there may be times when I need pictures to see how things should look - so I'm sure they'll be helpful as I get into the detailed bits.
And if anybody were interested, the kit comes with the hull sections to make any of the Lutjens, Molders and Rommel destroyers. I went with the Lutjens as I didn't have any particular attachment to any of the 3.

dansls1

May 7, 2007
Well, here's some pictures of my hacking, er build. I ran into a few fit issues, but I am guessing it's my build more than the model. The fit issues all related to the railings - so if one were using another method of railing rather than building in the paper railing, they wouldn't be issues. There are a few areas where I'll go back in and trim pieces to fit, as well as doing some painting to cover lines and whatnot.
build_12.jpg

build_10.jpg

build_11.jpg

dansls1

May 7, 2007
Progress

Well, a few more pics. Here you can see not only progress on the ship, but I think progress in my techniques (not perfect, but better ;)).
build_13.jpg

build_14.jpg

build_15.jpg

dansls1

May 7, 2007
Also I found a useful tool at the local hardware store. I picked up this drill gage to use for holding short tubes while you glue from the inside.
Not a new idea as I've seen a number of variants, but none using this relatively inexpensive tool.
tool.jpg