LUT additional details added...on going

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by George B, Jun 24, 2007.

1. George B

George B Senior Member

Side 3 pipe work

Hey guys,

I started work on the LH2 and LOX pipe work on side3 (photo 1). I reprinted a low res B/W version of the complete side to aid in placement.
    I also started running the water piping. The first pipe to be test fitted is a tapering pipe leading up to level 320 (see photo 2). I just stuck it in for the photo because the glue was still drying, it actually will be threaded through the lower level's structure and attached to the platform. As far as the other three, they are much smaller in diameter, I may just roll those.

At last I'm back to work at it! :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

2. George B

George B Senior Member

pipe pre-install

Hi guys,

I started test fitting the LOX piping (see teaser photo) but need to switch the top and bottom pipes for smaller diameter ones since the middle one was larger in real life.

Tonight I should be able to get the LH2 brackets installed. I hope to have all the pipes on the side of the Launch Platform installed this weekend. I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to make the entire run up the LUT in one piece like I did the ECS or run each pipe separately. Some of the pipes taper in diameter as they go up so I may do each one individually.

Well I'm back to work.

Attached Files:

3. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Your project is simply AMAZING.
  4. George B

George B Senior Member

Just taking a quick break so I thought I'd post an update. All the pipe brackets are installed and I'm currently working on the LH2 system pipes. I decided to start with the far left pipe as it will determine the position of the rest as they go up the LUT.

Attached Files:

5. George B

George B Senior Member

Side 3 pipe update

Hi Guys,

Well......I'm further ahead then I thought I'd be tonight. Woohoo!
    Side 3 Launch Platform pipe installation is complete for the most part, just end flanges and a few brackets here and there. Next step is to start working my way up the LUT with each pipe.....cooooool!

I have to give Alfonso credit here (thanks Alfonso!) :thumb:, I kit bashed his brackets from his MLP. I made them a bit longer and on a few doubled the bottom leg part so there would be two, basically one on each side..... makes sense right? :razz: I'll take a close-up photo tomorrow to help explain it better.

Until then............

Attached Files:

6. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Well done Gerorge..its the fines build I have seen around...

John John
  7. wedge

wedge Member

This is absolutely outstanding job !!!:shock::-o
  8. David H

David H Member

9. George B

George B Senior Member

Bracket mod

Thanks guys,

Here's the bracket mod I was referring to from Alfonso's MLP kit. I'll be using these all the way up the side of the LUT. wall1

Attached Files:

10. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

God, this is looking very good.

Wow, extreme close up on the bracket.
  11. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Great work on the pipework and bracketing:thumb::thumb:
    It's getting harder and harder,day by day to tell if it is your model or a real photo of the L.U.T
    (Just the table in the background gives it awaysign1)

12. George B

George B Senior Member

end of day work.....

Hi guys,

I was only able to install the LH2 pipes and brackets up to level 80 today. I realized I don't have that many photos of the real LUT's side 3 :( so research has slowed me down.

Attached Files:

13. George B

George B Senior Member

Hi Guys,

I really liked the corner supports on Wayne's MLP build, the 3D detail really adds alot.
    I decided to ripe out my original supports and replace them with the ones from Alfonso's kit. The originals were flat folded pieces and, although they looked good, I felt the additional detail is in keeping with the modifications I have been making to the LUT kit.

Here is the result.......

Attached Files:

14. dhanners

dhanners Member

If I haven't said it before, I'll say it now. A build this good leaves me speechless.

Great work.
  15. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

I'll say...I am blown away and wish I could see this thing in real should take pictures of it outside when it is finished to see if people cna tell which is the real one and which is the paper one. It'd be really hard.
  16. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

Yes, I have to agree. The corner support looks much better now. In line with the rest of the detail. Really enjoying yours and Wayne's MLP builds.
  17. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

LUT changes, chronological colage

I'd like to share with all of You this message of George Blanchette that I found at Yahoo LUT Group:

"Hi everyone,

I wanted to somehow see all the different variations of the LUT during
    the Apollo era, like changes in paint, piping etc, without have to
    search everytime. What I decided to do was create a 16"x24" poster,
    and using NASA images, create a colage of sorts showing which LUT was
    used for each mission. The resulting image is a 19mb file so I did not
    want to u/l here. It's available for d/l at the link listed below.
    This link will stay active for 7 days so perhaps someone could host it
    for others to use later.

LUT Colage

It's huge (near 20 Mb) but Hurry! only seven days! :twisted:

The poster is beautiful and
    George B, I discovered that Your LUT is the # 1, the only one that had the milkstool.

Best, Nando :thumb:
  18. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollo LUT Picture Collage

Thanks, Nando,

That is a stunning composition of pictures from an impressive era.
    I color-enhanced some of the pictures (contrast, color-correction, sharpness, saturation) and it came out just beautiful. I saved it as a large uncompressed tiff.

This is a poster for posterity!
    Thanks again.

Bengt :thumb:
  19. George B

George B Senior Member

M Brace

Hey Guys,

I know I'm nit picking this thing to death but I've been wanting to replace the original flat "M" bracing with tubular ones.
    Mission accomplished..... It went well and looks much better especially with the addition of gussets.

Once again, here's the before and after photos.

Attached Files:

20. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Hey Nando...VERY beautiful find of pics there..I really like how the Lut looked standing tall :) Though I did notice that on the MLP, there are only 3 hold down arms...there are two on one side and one on the other. Is this a fact or what am I seeing?