LUT additional details added...on going

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by George B, Jun 24, 2007.

1. George B

George B Senior Member

All Levels installed

Whew....I FINALLY have all the 18 levels installed including the machine house. Now it's time to go back and add the stairs, diagonal grids, and railings to the remaining levels. I also started on the Colby Crane...that's a build in itself.

Until next time.

2. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

I just want to know where did you get this model from?
  3. George B

George B Senior Member

4. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Thanks George. Realy thinking about getting one. Was the transaction ok with this guy?
  5. George B

George B Senior Member

I sent you a PM
  6. George B

George B Senior Member

Colby Crane Progress

I've been working on the monster Colby Crane....this thing is turning out larger then I thought (over 2 feet long!). Here's a few photos of my progress thus far.

7. I need a Pin up girl. . .

George b
    This is card models not plastic models and you are not supposed to post pictures of the real thing only models....:thumb:

WoW absolutely fantastic build! You know I was just joking...:curse: about the plastic, not the build. . .wall1
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

holeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyy cooooowwwwwwww :)

(thats Chris-speak for pretty darn awesome) :D
  9. Mercsim

Mercsim Member

Hmmm...a little animation...I would be tempted to put a cheap R/C servo and driver in there so that crane could turn! Servos are around $10-15 for a standard size and Astro Flight makes a nice little servo driver for $20. Add a AA battery holder and you're all set. The driver has a little knob on it so you can position the servo anywhere you like. Maybe some LED's up the tower and a little control panel on the back of the base. It wouldn't take much to really bring it to life!

10. George B

George B Senior Member

Ha, funny you mention that! I was thinking the same thing except I wanted to add a moving block and tackle and have the cranes hook travel up and down also. I have a cheap $40 plastic Remote-Control Mega Crane that I was going to maybe gut. At this rate this project will never end. wall1
  11. I've been watching. Pretty cool.

Hey Carl H. You designing one?
  12. George B

George B Senior Member

Today's Colby Crane Progress

Hey guys.....all the crane girders are installed as well as the lightning mast. I have the mast fold down like the real one and rest on a bracket. When in the upright position it locks in place. You can see the hook in the second photo. I fashioned a hinge using a piece of black fabric. I'd like to of course add railings to the stairs and walkways at the correct locations.

Well I'm back to work, until next time.

P.S. I hope you guys aren't getting bored with my updates.
  13. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Bored? Good lord, no! Keep them coming. This forum and it's contributors are what keep me coming back several dozen times a day. :mrgreen:

14. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

That is one beautiful piece of industrial art. You're keeping many of us very happy out here watching your progress. Too many people (including myself) are not that familiar with the details of the LUT. We know many of its functions, but seeing it up close gives us a better appreciation of what went into the design.

15. Truly amazing. That thing is big enough to use as a hat rack. (do they still use those?)

And your wife has no problem with that? Mine is worried about my 1/4 Merc Capsule.
  16. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Amazing build. Keep the pictures coming.
  17. George B

George B Senior Member

Girder installation complete

The installation of all the tower girders is now complete. Only three sets of stairs and nine levels of rails to install. After finishing the diagonal tube girders I thought my days of rolling small tubes was over.... I then remembered the miles of propellant piping which need to be scratch built. wall1

18. Fozzy The Bear

Fozzy The Bear New Member

Yeah! then there's all the service arms to do as well... :eek:

Fantastic model George...... But I've got one question for you. You built the engines and first stage from greelt's kits at 1/48 so why are you building the LUT at 1/60 ??? I'm puzzled by this.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
  19. George B

George B Senior Member

Well (this is for timhinds1 also) I started constructing the LUT at 1/48th scale however, after my wife got a glimpse of the size of the base and first few levels we sat down and had a "discussion" (1/96th was too small for me and 1/48th was too large for her).:curse: A compromise was made and 1/60th was settled I don't have to sleep out in the car. :mrgreen:
    I plan on rebuilding Greelt's Saturn V again but this time scale it down to 1/60th. I know it's a strange scale but oh well.

Thanks for bringing up THAT subject.
  20. Fozzy The Bear

Fozzy The Bear New Member

OUCH!!!! :joust1:

I know that one mate!!! Every time I start a new project I get a round of "and where are you going to put it when it's finished" from the "Domestic Authorities"... :rolleyes:

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)