LUT additional details added...on going

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by George B, Jun 24, 2007.

1. George B

George B Senior Member

I hope everyone weathered the storm to the new host.

Looking over the plans for the LUT I noticed that the kit has been designed with stairs leading to levels 1,2 and 3 ONLY and in addition, NO railings of any kind. :confused: I decided to design and build my own railings, after all, I think it looks strange to see stars without railings. I also think it looks strange to see the individual levels and MLP with no railings, which are also void in the kit, so I'm working on those also.

Here’s my interpretation of stairs with railings (new version has corrections). I’ll post photos of the levels and MLP with railings once I have them finished.

Attached Files:

2. Darwin

Darwin Member

George, you're making my fingers itch. Those railings look nice Unfortunately, my building time is taken up on 1-1 scale projects until the new hobby shack is done (at least enough to start to occupy) sometime this fall. I'll make up for lost time then....hope all these great builds are complete and available by then.
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That is really weird that a kit of this stature, as far as price and level of detail are concerned, is missing those railings.
    Are they missing from the one in the real world? I would think not as safety is Nasa's number one concern.
    In any event, you sure have made a fantastic addition to your build!:cool:
    It sure does look as though those railings were provided with the kit.
    Great job! Can't wait to see your further progress on this build. It really looks fantastic!

4. George B

George B Senior Member

Installed versions

Here's a photo of stairs installation to this point. Vertical supports are still needed as well as level railings.

Amazyah, the railings are present on each side of each level on the real one as well as the perimeter of the MLP.

Attached Files:

5. Clashster

Clashster Member

I haven't really followed this, not being a space guy, but all I can say is WOW! and I will be keeping up with your progress! I had to look very closely to verify it was not the real thing! (the cut mat gave it away)

6. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

7. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Just a question!

Has the EPA reviewed the materials You are integrating into the structure?!

Looks great so far!

8. George B

George B Senior Member

Yeah, or maybe I'll just cut it up and dispose of it so it is no longer an environmental threat. :cry:

Here's the latest......
    Level 4 installed plus the four main vertical girders up to level 12 (level 12 in photo is temp). I'm building differently then what is in the instructions because I'll be adding railings, so I'm building level by level and working my way up. Also worth noting, the elevator shafts have been cleaned up of the stairs "image" and re skinned to level 5.
  9. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Beautiful work, George ... beautiful work. If the background wasn't there, I'd think it was the real deal.
  10. jaeike

jaeike Member

Absolutely amazing. Wish I had the space for such an undertaking. I can tell already it's going to be a work of art. Thanks for sharing!
  11. umtutsut

umtutsut Member

Any chance you could post that stair/rails design of yours? The 1/144 (or so) Revell Shuttle Launch Tower made of styrene (gasp!) also lacks stairways. It should be a simple matter to scale your design down.

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum flack)
  12. I need a Pin up girl. . .

way cool nice work. . .
  13. George B

George B Senior Member

Level 5

Well, it's up to level 5 and growing.

I've installed the lower level railings and all the lower support girders. The lower half structure is complete for the most part, now it's just a matter of completing each level ,installing it, then moving on up to the next.

I also decided to design the Operational Intercom System Distributors and Measuring Coaxial Distributors located on side 1 of the elevator shaft on each level (photos to come).

Pretty boring pics for a while so I'll update when there's a noticeable change.

14. George B

George B Senior Member

Level 9 taken outside

I'm up to level 9 and hope to have level 12 installed by the end of the day. I took it outside for a few shots to share with you guys.

15. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Great work, and a great photo - superbly composed.
  16. George B

George B Senior Member

Level 12 installed!

Great milestone with the installation of level 12! Here's a few photos of my progress with some showing the Operational Intercom System Distributors and Measuring Coaxial Distributors I had mentioned earlier.

17. I need a Pin up girl. . .

Dang that is shure preety. . .:)
  18. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

I really hate you guys that have this kind of commitment. I feel so ashamed at my noobishness. :oops:

Stunning....absolutely stunning. You make me sick. :)
  19. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Just a Note on progress!

20. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

That is an impressive build.:thumb:
    So, what's next? The SF-Oakland Bay Bridge? There's lots of steel girders you can put together piece by piece.:mrgreen::p;-)