Lurkers:

Guests! :) (thread previously mistitled "Lurkers")

Whats up? 37 online and 311 guests? I know many of us lurked here before signing up and posting. But, c'mon sign on and say hi! Even if you don't post much just let us know you're here! :)

Sorry about the negative interpretation of the term "lurker", I have changed to to guests to better reflect my intent!
:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Seaboard

Hi :wave: I'm Still here, Just lookin at other sights, thats all. I usually wait until somebody brings up somethin I can comment to.

Seaboard

Thoroughbreed said:
Sean, I live right down the road from you, in Columbus:thumb:
There a few others in here from the peach state also.

I know I met a few others from GA on here. Your only a couple miles away. Hey if youv'e ever seen the Dinkie (MLS 104) in old town conyers, thats were I like to railfan at. And eat at Whistle Post, my favorite place.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
I don't know about everyone else but many times I just do not log on. So I just show as a guest most of the time.

lunatic

Hi all. I suppose i'd be classified as a "lurker" :) I've been doing a bit of research over the last week or so and The Gauge has been my community of choice. You guys have got a great site!

I've always been interested in setting up a model railroad. Now i've got enough space to set up a layout about 8' x 12' or so. I still don't know what I want in a layout though! LOL

I'm looking forward to talking to you guys and girls. I'm sure i'll have heaps of questions to ask in the future! sign1

Oh yeah, thanks to Hisco for helping me make the decision to join :)

- Mick

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hello Gibbon! I'd say good morning but it must be lunch time on the other side of the pond (?) :)
Ralph

ezdays

Out AZ way
hiscopilot said:
Whats up? 37 online and 311 guests? I know many of us lurked here before signing up and posting. But, c'mon sign on and say hi! Even if you don't post much just let us know you're here! :)
Just for information, a lot of these "guests" are spiders searching our database so that when you go to a search engine they will have this information. Many are visitors and some are members that haven't signed in. If you click on "current active users" next to the number of people on line, you will get a list of who's who. Also, if you go to Yahoo or Google and enter your name in the search box, you may come up with links to several threads that you've posted to here.:D

rowdygoudy

I must admit I am frequently one of those lurkers. Any time I get on the compuer I always swing by and look at today's post. And I do not like being automatically logged onto a site when I visit.

Goudy

Illus

I do alot of Lurking when I am at work, but when I am at home, I usually sign in. Plus, ALOT of those 'guests' are search bots...

hooknlad

Hello, My name is Michael and I am a lurker - lol . I admit there are some AOL sites I lurk, but I confess that i have never lurked the gauge. No one here ever bothers anyone with an unwanted PM. With AOL, sometimes I just like to be left alone, and not be annoyed by instant messages. I come on the Gauge to read the new posts, Learn, and possibly add some help to those who need it.

ratjag

Hi Hiscopilot.:wave: Sorry, I'm one of the "lurkers" too! :eek:ops: Like to see the latest kitbashes or other useful threads but don't often have a lot to say,(Too busy trying to get a layout up and running in what should be our dining room!!!:eek: ).
Hope to get a consist shot in asap though. :thumb:

Hi to gibbonofdoom too, good to see another uk resident on here.:thumb:

Not forgetting everyone else:wave: sign1

cidchase

I'm not really that enamored of the "lurker" term...(with its negative connotation).
I mean, if folks just want to listen in, what's the harm? Sure, we would like more to join in, but I think some folks would rather not post, for whatever reason, and we should
respect their decision.:)
Just my opinion:D

ezdays

Out AZ way
cidchase said:
I'm not really that enamored of the "lurker" term...(with its negative connotation).
I mean, if folks just want to listen in, what's the harm? Sure, we would like more to join in, but I think some folks would rather not post, for whatever reason, and we should
respect their decision.:)
Just my opinion:D
Cid,

I don't think that "lurking" has any negative connotations, and there's no harm in watching and learning. Out of the 7,000 registered members we have here, I'd say there's close to 1,000 that have never posted. I'm sure some have gone away, but there's some that come back and just don't sign in. Me, I've always kept my log-in active, even before I joined the staff. There are certain feature here that do not show or you don't have access to unless you're logged in though, and that's one benefit. There are some sites that I go to that I'm not logged on and may never post there even though I'm registered, so I'm guessing we are all at one time or another in one place or another are lurkers, and there's nothing wrong with that.:D

That having been said, it is nice to know that when someone has taken the time to register, that we know when they have returned. We don't record it, but it's just nice to see an old friend come back for a visit, even if they don't say anything.:wave: :wave:

Oh definitely, I didn't mean any negativity at all when I said it... It was just the enormous amount of people reading that we havent gotten the chance to meet yet! I just kind of think it would be awesome to have a chance to know who all those who share at least part of this passion or even curiosity with us.

The internet has created the term lurker for those who read but dont sign in or sign up. In that case there is nothing negative at all. In real life there is definitely a negative connotation to the term and thats DEFINITELY NOT the kind of lurker I was talking about.

When I introduced myself to everyone here I mentined that I had lurked here for a while but found that it would be so much nicer if I could participate in the entire board.

:)

I apologize to anyone who has seen this as negative, I meant it in completely a HEY YOU, C'MON IN AND SAY HI!!!!!!!!! WE'D LOVE TO MEET YA!