Lunar Surveyor model

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Bengt F, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Those of you who have followed Jon Leslie´s good advice of keeping an eye on the chronological list at the Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model Giftshop have noticed that card model designer Ton Noteboom, of the Netherlands, has recently created a model of the Lunar Surveyor, the first U.S. spacecraft to land softly on the Moon on June 2, 1966.
    This new model was added to the "Real Spacecraft Paper Models" page on April 23, 2006:

Out of seven missions, five landed safely on the Moon, collecting data, taking surface photographs, and preparing for the scheduled Apollo mission landings in the late 60s and early 70s.
    This card model is not recommended as a beginner´s model. It consists of many small parts and has a complicated assembly - it has been given a rating of 8/10. Two detailed photo instruction sets are provided to guide the modeller in the assembly.

In addition to the detailed card model, Ton has also provided a step-by-step photo instruction on "How to make a Moonscape" diorama out of papier maché, which, with the proper harsh side lighting, gives a stunningly realistic effect of the Lunar surface. Moon craters, of varied sizes,
    can be created using for example a small rubber ball, a coffee cup or a bowl.
    This ingenious approach takes Lunar dioramas to a new level of realism:

This addition to the wide range of real space & science fiction models at is very welcome indeed -
    many thanks to designer Ton Noteboom and to Jon Leslie!
    And, please remember that contributions to the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Learning Center, a non-profit organization providing
    space & science education to area schools and to the public, are most welcome - read more about it here:

The Lunar Surveyor model and Moon surface diorama, two instruction sets, display photos, etc, are all found at the bottom of this page:

thread starter:
    Bengt Fredén :smile:

For additional information on all the seven Lunar Surveor missions, between 1966 and 1968, refer to this link, "The Surveyor Program":

(attached picture, edited in): The Lunar Surveyor 3 (second successful landing) on the Moon with the Apollo 12 Lunar Module in the background, only about 160 meters away. Several large pieces of the Surveyor spacecraft (launched in 1967), among them the sample scoop, and a high-resolution TV camera, were retrieved by the Apollo 12 crew and brought back to Earth to be analyzed, after two and a half years in space (the picture is recorded using a Swedish-made, modified Hasselblad 500 EL Lunar camera with a built-in glass Resau plate with reference crosses :

Attached Files:

2. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

GOODY!!! Been waiting for this one!!! :-D

I hope he'll do the Viking Space Probes...
  3. dhanners

dhanners Member

That one'll go to the top of my Build List. The Surveyor was always one of my favorite spacecraft. When I was a kid, I scratchbuilt one, using dry spaghetti for the tubular sections. That was long before the advent of styrene rod, and it was the only thing this 12-year-old space freak could think of to use....