Lumberyard structures

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Kevinkrey, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

I have a small lumberyard scene in a corner of my layout, I am building some structures for it and only have room for one now, but I want to expand it in the future. Here is the first building I have, it is rough, but I built it in a couple hours. It is modeled after a lumberyard my uncle used to manage. I need something to model a tattered tarp for a door and a roof, Im not sure what to use for the roof, maybe just more corrugated metal.

Attached Files:

2. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

Here are pics after paint dried................

Comments are encouraged, I like hearing other opinions.:thumb:

Attached Files:

3. PWRR-2207

PWRR-2207 Rogue Islander

Is that red or pink paint? If it is pink, are you going to add some rolls of "Pink Panther Insulation" and a sign advertising that the company is a distributor of "Owens CorningĀ®" products? ;)

Looks good and has plenty of room for detail inside. I would go with more corrugated steel for the roof. Maybe paint it silver or aluminum to reflect heat away and leave vent space below it...
  4. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

Thanks, but it is a dark redish color, the one its based on has white roofs. I am planning a second layout, shelf layout in the same train room and thought the other day that I should model a foam board manufacturer.​
  5. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

The lubmer building is finished. Here are some pics of the structure, the companys new forklift being hauled in, and then loading the building with lumber. Plus a few overall pics of the scene, my uncle who has been in the lumber industry his whole career is comming by this weekend, hopefully it gets his stamp of approval. :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

6. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

looking at that post, I realize the abscence of people is very obvious.
  7. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

C'mon, Kevin, don't your employees get any time off for Christmas? ;) :-D

8. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

Yes, they do, I guess they just dropped everything as is and left for home, didn't even think to put away the forklift.:p
  9. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

nah, it was probably a few local kids whom "borrowed" the fork lift and left it there.
  10. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

Your right, I admit, it was ME!:mrgreen:
    I wanted pics but there was no action, so I made some!
  11. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Looks good Kevin! By the way, I like those stacks of lumber. Are they commercially made?
  12. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

Ralph, thanks for the comment. The lumber stacks are two sets of Atlas lumber kits. I airbrushed them brown and the airbrush sprays spotty for some reason but it worked well for the lumber. Then I brush Painted the ends red.
  13. galt904

galt904 Member

You'd probably get a ticket from DOT for using nylon straps instead of chains and binders on the forklift. Other than that, everything looks good. Well done!
  14. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

shhhhhhh:twisted: nobody needs to know that.

15. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Wow, that spot went from nothing to something! I like the lumber yard and those vehicles really make the scene work.