Lumber load for a flatcar

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I worked all weekend (well spare time weekend) on my lumber load for a 40' flatcar.

lumberload2.jpg

only the top layer of the load is full length boards. the rest of the stack is hollow with only the ends represented. even still it took about 10 2' long basswood strips to do the whole load. I still have to add the banding on the top of the stakes. I think thread will do the job to represent it.

lumberload1.jpg

maybe I went a little to high?

N

nachoman

Looks good. What is the make of the flat car? Also, the ends of boards I see at the lumber yard are often painted/color coded. Does anyone know when this practice began, or have info as to what the individual colors mean?

Kevin

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Looks good, Glen, and thread will work just fine for tying the tops of the stakes together. If you make a continuous loop to join each pair of stakes, you can insert a small piece of "lumber" between the two strands, then twist it to tighten the thread, just like the prototype does. Sorry, but I couldn't find a better photo to illustrate this.
2007-01-10_5131.jpg

As for the painted ends on the boards, I was told that it's to prevent splitting, due to the ends drying out too quickly. The most common colours that I've seen are green, red , and, more recently, blue.

Wayne

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Thanks I was surprised how much lumber the one load took and how long it took to assemble them.
Wayne I see that you divided your load vertically as well as horozontally. Useing a stick in the thread is a good Idea. I was wondering how to get the tread to look 'right' when finished. After you tightened the thread did you use CA to lock it in place?
Kevin I think the flatcar is an old roundhouse kit. I'm planning to re-paint it in Canadian National or Canadian Pacific in the near future.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Glen,

You can also "nail" some scale 2x4 across between the uprights. Note that the verical spacers are only required if the dimension of the lumber do not multiply out to make a tight fit between the uprights.

I believe that painting the ends was done more for grading/sizing than for protection. It is only relatively recently that anything approaching finished goods are shipped on open flats (bulkhead/opera window); this is due in part to the protection afforded by wrapping.

Here's a link to my lumber load...

http://forum.zealot.com/t98788/

Andrew

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Did you use scale lumber, scraps, or ties?

As far as too tall, I know the DSP&P made many concessions in car design to the lumber companies (the biggest shipper was Hallack Bros Lumber)...most of the concessions were related to allowing the lumber companies to stack lumber far taller than the sides of the cars.

A reasonable density for lumber would be 38lb/cu ft...with it going as low for some pines as 20lb/cu ft and as high as 70lb/cu ft in some special circumstances...

So if the flat car was 10' wide and 50' long...with a capacity of 50ton...the lumber could be stacked to more than 10' tall.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Here's one more shot with the banding on the top. Wayne, thanks for the tip on twisting the thread. it woked out well.
I used 3/32 square basswood from a local craftstore to build the load. I thought it looked about right for unfinished lumber that my sawmill would produce.

2008_02170005.jpg

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Andrew, like, I believe that he's just finished loading that car, so, like he's probably heading off for a few cold ones, eh? aussie

Wayne

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Is that "like, fer sure...!" or "like, ok, eh? Does he get some back bacon with that, hoser?". ;) :D

I'm thinking the second, although I am entirely sure that Glen's layout is set in the GWN, eh? ;)

Andrew

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
"Worked all weekend (well spare time weekend) on my lumber load for a 40' flatcar," says Glen?

Well, you're going to have to work a little faster than that. We've got raw logs on Vancouver Island waiting to be shipped!

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Yes my layout is set in the GWN (took me a minute to relize that wasn't a railroad) The LPB is trying to get some help by the gesturing but everyone else has headed for the 'cold one' at the bar just a couple doors down.

rhtastro

Jul 27, 2007
Northern CA
Glen, I like your lumber stacks, they look very real. Nice job. A few years ago I found lumber stacks in the Walthers catalog and put those in my display on flat cars and trucks. They look more like the finished lumber I see daily rolling down I-5 here in Norcal, some from Canada. But, I really like logs as that's more to my heritage. Here's a couple of examples from my layout. Bob

Attachments

• 5591z.jpg
    5591z.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 3
  • 5632.jpg
    5632.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 4