Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by speedless, Dec 2, 2006.

1. speedless

speedless Member

Im currently building a model with moveable parts;bushings,gliders,axels ...
    All of these need to be a tight fit and still be able to work!
    Currently im using graphite from a pencil to "lubricate",it works like wonder
    except for the discoloring.
    Anyone outthere ?
  2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

That would be the best option I could think of... anything oil based is likely to leak onto the paper and bleed, making the problem worse.
  3. angevine

angevine Member

Might be a long shot but what about a white wax crayon? Would that work?

Or even a candle.

4. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I'm here and make moving parts.

I thought of graphite as well, but I expect it will have a silver sheen when used on black. I've got graphite in stick form (bought at an art supply place) and as powder sold to lubricate locks.

I went with spray silicone for the fan parts of my wings. The parts are printed with an Epson stylus printer with K3 ink. Then I spray the printed pages with Crystal Clear spray acrylic to fix the ink. I've been applying the silicone after assembly.

I haven't used lubricant on the other parts (hinges and rigging) but I'm going to try Goretex dental floss for the rigging. I'm also on the look out for Goretex tubing. Goretex makes a sheath to reduce friction in bicycle cabling.
    Another possibility that I haven't tried is flouro ski wax or else the flouro additive powder used for ski wax.

The flouro subtance, Goretex, Slick-50, and Teflon are all similar. It's perflouroalcane or something like that.

Attached Files:

5. charliec

charliec Active Member

I've had some success with washers made from the disk material from old floppy disks for moving parts in paper models. This plastic is pretty slippery - it has to be to rotate inside the disk enclosure.

6. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

Parchment Paper

Have you tried parchment paper laminated to card stock. It is coated with teflon, a substance often used to make mechanical bushings. It should be available in the baking section of your local grocery store.
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Get some plumber's Teflon tape.

8. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

I have an OLD bottle of Graphite powder that is white.
    My brother used it on a PineWood Derby car back in the 70's.

If you can't find it what about talcum powder??
  9. charliec

charliec Active Member

It's actually Boron Nitride - used to be marketed as White Graphite. Much
    better heat resistance than Graphite.

10. Sometimes I have to make special effects for filmmaking, once I had to make paper sliding from a pile, using a windmachine, to 'lubricate' the paper I used "microballs" as we call them here in Holland ,it looks like a powder, but they are very, very tiny teflonballs, It worked very well, Invisible,leaving no traces or stains...
    Cheers, Billy
  11. speedless

speedless Member

Thanks for your answers.
    I think i will go for the silicon,graphite or talkum works well but its messy.Even after the model is completed you have to warn people,or else you will get black fingers all over your shiny new model.:cry:
    White graphite sounds right,does it smear off ?
    Ok,so far;
    Wax,parafin,candle;no good!
    Anything wetting the paper;no good!
    I will just keep on experimenting and post any news here since im not the only one making animated models.:)

12. speedless

speedless Member

Yes i have tried,but nothing sticks to it.I use it for washers.
    I also use it for laminating,you can even laminate small parts with cyano.
    Putting the parts between the baking-paper and 2 pieces off 6mm glass.
  13. speedless

speedless Member

Hi lizzie
    Sorry for not commenting your wings before.:roll:
    They look so organic,wheres the poor bat missing those?
    I would like to se the finished project,as this seems to be quite intricate (?).
    And thanks for your nice and elaborated answer on lubrication.
    My problem is the steam-engine i have entered in the free model comp.
    Well not exactly that one,but build no. 2. The first is almost warned out!
    Making bushings,reinforcing and so on.
    Found that coating brushings,axels,gliders.. with a thin layer of cyano,then polish a bit,you dont need any lubrication.
    Let us see those wings fly !:-D
  14. speedless

speedless Member

Hi :)
    Okay,after many experiments with different kinds of lubrications for paper vs paper,i finally found the right stuff; "PRF TEFSOL" .Its made in Finland by a compagny named ;"TAEROSOL OY" .Its a mixture of silicone and teflon,dryes up spotless and works extremely well.Just dont get it at anything you want to glue or paint afterwards,wait with the spray untill the model is done,or be very carefull.NOTHING! sticks to this stuff!
    Yes I know,where do i get this? You probaly cant find the exact brand,but look for Dry lubrication,something with silicone and teflon in it.
    US;MIL-L.60326 (MU)
    UK;Try RS