Lubricant

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Duey,
I use Tri-flow grease with Teflon and Tri-flow oil with teflon, have done for many years and find it is excellent for all loco jobs.
Shamus

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Duey, I've always used LaBelle lubricants. They have several different kinds including a teflon grease. Most of them are plastic compatible but be sure to check the package. Petroleum based oils or grease will "eat up" plastic or nylon gears. :eek:

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I second the Labelle.

When we were teens, my best friend discovered Mazola oil as a lubricant and did all his plastic kits with it. In six months none would run because the oil had swollen the plastic axles and frames so they wouldn't turn.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
I use the Labelle #107, in the small plazo bottle with the steel pin nozzle very very very very very sparingly. New locos I give a tiny drop or two. Haven't needed to do any more since. Loco's I looked at since, have not needed any more lubrication. Too much and some sorta black greasy muck ends up all over the tracks.

JeffGerow

Feb 13, 2001
Winthrop, MA, USA
Visit site
I also like and use Labelle lubricants -- however recently I have discovered new lubricants made by Aero-Car Technology, Inc.. They sell a kit with Conducta Lube (great for motor electrical contacts - brushes and commutator), Motor Bearing Lubricant, and "NG Gel" gear lubricant. These are vegetable based compounds and do a very good job. They recommend cleeaning out all old lubricants before applying. I believe the Bachmann and Life-like lube kits are now made by Aero-car.
They also make a very good track cleaner - the best I've ever used to clean up really dirty track (like my box of American Flyer track) -- it requires a wipe-on and second clean cloth wipe off (so it doesn't work all that well in my Centerline cleaning car), but it really does cut through to the shiney metal.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Solvent

Don't use any kind of "solvent" like mineral spirits, laquer thinner, acetone, or contact cleaner on plastic, nylon or delrin gears or bearings. They will melt:eek:

Rubbing Alcohol works good to clean off old lubricants from the materials above.:)