Love this hobby and I'm still just making the free stuff

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by nicknaylo, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicknaylo

nicknaylo New Member

Hi, I'm pretty new to card modeling, having picked the Disney Experience Nautilus on download a couple months ago. After being able to build in the living room, keeping all my stuff and parts a shallow box, and not having to separate from the family like the woodworking and metal work pursuits (don't try welding in your kitchen) I'm loving this!! The Internet Finds forum is great!

So far I've done the Nautilus, The Naughty Lass, a '57 VW Beetle (drive a '68) Some Automata sheep from the Flying Pig, A Pocket Cruiser sailboat in just the last couple of months. Got some Civil War Torpedo boats, another sailboat, Gigantor, Ed Bertcshy's cello and a STTOS communicator, the ToyShop B&W steam engine, Pino's Rolly toy automata and a few others. With a color printer, 67 lb cardstock and my USB drive, I'm set.

Great hobby this, Anyone know of a cardmodel of the Holland, the first US Navy Submarine

Attached Files:

2. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Welcome aboard. Some very nice builds there.

3. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

Great first builds. I especially like the nautilus. Very nice looking model.
  4. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

VERY good builds!
    Which Civil War topedo boats did you find and where? I have only the CSS David.
  5. nicknaylo

nicknaylo New Member

thanks for the compliment, I have the david as well, but the other is a Renova Winans Cigar boat. Free download, but in polish, saves as a pdf file. Im pretty sure I found it on this forum somewhere. And a very tiny bitmap of the CSS Hunley that I'm not sure is buildable, but I'm gonna try the Bertschy's cello first.

6. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Nice builds!

Hi nicknaylo,
    Welcome to card modelling! Your builds are very good! I wish I had half the skill as you do!

If you could, please let me know where you downloaded the VW from. My daughter would really love to have one!

Thanks and hope to see more from you!
    Ron Caudillo
  7. nicknaylo

nicknaylo New Member

Hmmm... I really should have paid attention to where I was downloading some of these from. I have the PDF file of the VW, and another one that's a bitmap I think. Happy to forward.

8. mauther

mauther Active Member

Great pics! I loved the Nautilus!
  9. cmags

cmags Guest

Looks like this is the one:

There's also the Mamecraft new Beetle (multiple colors available):

And a fairly simple '99, depending on your daughter's age she could build it too!

I knew collecting these links would be useful someday!
  10. Cool model pics, Michael!

I know exactly what you mean. You can do card modeling almost anywhere. I love your Disney Nautilus build there. I try to hang my models whenever possible. I'm embarrassed to say that, even though I'm a big Nautilus buff, I've not built this model yet. One of the guys on the forum built it and complained about some part misfits. I'm wondering if you had similar issues or if it was just that guy's print out.

11. nicknaylo

nicknaylo New Member

I found the fitting of the hull parts to be a little counter intuitive, and that's where you'll spend most of you time on this model. But its not that bad, this was the first or second paper model I'd ever done. The fit wasn't dead on perfect but being paper there was some wiggle room. It was very helpful to mark the back of each hull section as soon as it was cut out to keep them organized and remember that the front and rear hull sections are staggered, so the joint between front and rear is not a straight line but a kind of crenelated edge. Other than that, I'd use thicker cardboard for the rakers and fins.
  12. Thanks for the reply, Michael. I'll have to give it whirl. I actually have a rare 50th Anniversary resin Nautilus model, but as a card model fan, this one's always intrigued me. I know guys with bookcases full of Nautili. I'm not that much of fanatic, but do have have a few card models.
  13. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

It's listed on Paper Hollywood's web site. 1st page, 7th link down. Good website too. It'll save you a lot of time looking for stuff.

Think it's also on Jon Leslie's site
    Science Fiction section, second model down. It even includes a giant squid!

As far as free stuff goes, my paper models folder has almost 12 gigs (over 16,000 files in just over 3,000 folders) of free, honestly acquired models. (And I'm a piker compared to some folks).

If I built a model a day (impossible) it would take me almost 30 years to finish! That would make me 85 :eek: which seems a lot closer than it used to.
  14. lehcyfer

lehcyfer Member

Some very nice models here :)

I've made the Winans cigar ship from Renova-model - it's very fine model - and there are more free models on the page.

Those are different model of the Nautilus. There is also an improved, printed version, not free but, but well worth the cost.:steamtrain:
  16. RocketmanTan

RocketmanTan Well-Known Member

Is that bitmap of the Hunley available for download online? I've been looking to build a model of it for years now!
    Thanks in advance, and I wish you the best of luck in your paper endeavors.

--Bryan "Opposite over Adjacent" Tan
  17. belleg01

belleg01 New Member

Great work. Ive always been a little intimidated when i see those very well done Nautilus model. I guess its time for me to man up and give it a try:thumb: .
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.