Louis Ullian's Coon Creek Lumber Co.

Tyson Rayles

Hi all! While visiting down south I had the good fortune to visit Louis' fabulous O and On3 Coon Creek Lumber Co. This layout was featured in Great Model Railroads 1991 and in the March issue of Model Railroader 2003. All I have is a cheap digital camera, the built in flash and the room lights were the extent of the lighting but most of the pics came out pretty good I think. His layout is also featured in a Green Frog Productions video callled "Logging Railroads Prototype and Model" . ( Hope I got the name of the tape right!) Louis and his wife are really nice people who kindly put up with me drooling all over the layout :D :D :D . Some footnotes: Louis has photos of a large and old sawmill and drew up plans for it from the photos. One of his friends spent 4 years builing it and it does look just like the photo on the valance. The trestle took Louis a year to build and 6 months to install and scenic. It is over 6 feet long and 3.5 feet tall, sorry but I couldn't get the whole thing in the picture. He made molds for tree stumps complete with rotting centers on some of them!!! Everthing looked so natural, the weathering, the way he blended the photo backdrop with the foreground, the ground covers, well just everything! There will be about 20 pictures so this will take me awhile! Please be patient. :)

Attachments

• l-1.jpg
    l-1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 281