Lots of model piracy

Discussion in 'Off Topic - Card Modeler Lounge' started by Paragon, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Hey guys, take a look at this:
    Buy [Alice papermodel] Startrek starships the federation model all 36 type starwar model starcraft model , [Alice papermodel] Startrek starships the federati, [Alice papermodel] Startrek starships the federati, [Alice papermodel] Startrek starships t

Obviously, since 16 of the models are mine, it concerns me a bit more than it may others, but there are still at least 4 models from Clever, 2 from Zoshou, 2 from Marko Hartel, 2 from Shunichi Makino, etc. Since this is the first time I've seen this kind of thing involve my models, I have no idea what to do about it. Just to make sure you all understand, this person hasn't constructed the models to sell, they are simply selling the plans, printed out I assume.

I'm also a bit more than angry that when doing an image search for some of the ships I designed, the image from this thief's page comes up before my own, meaning it gets a fair bit of traffic, and has been around for awhile.

I do have to admit though, the large number of my models included, and the rather high price are a bit flattering.

But that's not all!

Zousho's Nebula
    Buy Startrek starships model TNG Nebula Class model starwar model starcraft model , Startrek starships model TNG Nebula Class model st, Startrek starships model TNG Nebula Class model st, [Alice papermodel]Startrek starships model TNG Nebula Class mo

Zousho's D'deridex Warbird

Clever's Bird of Prey

D-7/K'Tinga, from that webshots album I think?

Homespun Magix's Klingon Disruptor

Vulcan ship (don't remember whose)

Enterprise Bridge from Lower Hudson Valley Gift Shop

Shuttle Tyderium from konradus.com

ARC-170 from Paper Replika

A whole bunch of Star Trek shuttles, including a bunch of mine

Galileo shuttle from phoxim.de

Botany Bay from Lower Hudson Valley

Giant Starship Troopers ship, I think it was from Zealot? Or Here?

Galaxia from humlak.cz

More Star Wars from Paper Replika

Shunichi Makino's Y-Wing

I'm sure there are more people being stolen from that I haven't found yet.

I'm also REALLY pissed that he went and put his own f*%king WATERMARK on the images. The AUDACITY. Seriously. I'm livid.
  2. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

I concur with your sentiments and my comment was made at the other paper modeler site, on this issue. In spite of this sleazy vendor, thanks for all of your work and effort that you placed into your designs.
  3. oriod01

oriod01 Member

I contacted Sony Legal regarding the infringement of their copyright. The Warhawk model was released by them and is derived from a property they own. Considering they are a worldwide corporation they probably have offices in China and would have the best possibility to pursue this individual for damages. We shall see.

4. Chrispysurfer

Chrispysurfer Member

Hey guys, I have been out of the loop for awhile and have a continually growing list of models to get to one of these days, so I only get to check in every now and then. Every time I do I am amazed by the beautiful and detailed work that everyone in the forum does. It is a sin that someone is exploiting that. Thanks for all that you guys do and these vendors will hopefully get what they deserve.
  5. Will J.

Will J. New Member

I really think what they are doing is a little bit F-ed up! That is just dowright scaly they way they are doing it.
    If it was mine (HAHA - me talking asif I have the creativity to design one these!!, thus if it was me hypothetically), I would track them down somehow and grill them about it - in the end it is still theft - in some countries you lose digits/limbs when you steal.
  6. Tirick

Tirick Member

That is.. abhorrent. Selling someone else's work under the guise of your own is.. very upsetting.

I feel for you Paragon; spending countless hours designing just to see some lame jerk profit from your work is very discouraging.

7. wlock

wlock Member

Can't believe someone is actually stupid enough to pay the amounts mentioned for models that are free on the net. On another note, i think that it can be made harder for these people to steal somebody's work if it's a bit protected, with a pop in papekura and website links in the pages. the way paper-replika.com does for example seems to work nicely.

If it takes too much work to steal the model then they'll just move on to something easier
  8. MTK

MTK Active Member

Caveat Emptor. Anyone that would buy these models instead of doing their own research, or their own work...??? This essentially the same thing as recasting the the resin and styrene world. Having said that.... Anyone, myself included that gives away their work for free, must expect that there are going to be dirtbags that are going to profit from other peoples work... Still, many of the cardmodels here, mine included are based wholly, or in part on someone elses work. That is just a fact. However, since "we" give our efforts to the modeling world pro-bono, I don't think that we are neccesarily profiting from others. I've given my artwork away for free, for many years, but have only recently, within the last couple of years, realized that if I want to profit from anything I do, I have to keep a record of my own work and share it with no one. Unfortunately, there are those that have no real skill in any area, or wouldn't know an original thought if it crawled up and bit them, that feel they have the right to steal from others. I never seem to come out on the right end of this debate, so I usually don't let it get to me to much. I've seen others take credit for my work and ideas and what can I do? Stop sharing, stop giving it away, stop showing my work? That's when they win. Just my thoughts.
  9. RocketmanTan

RocketmanTan Well-Known Member

I also found a site offering GPM, Fly Model, and other for-sale models for free (well who would complain? :rolleyes:). 'Course, it didn't seem to be that high profile, but they recently changed their file managing host. Now you have to pay the host to download the models (the site also offered free models, mind you). Frankly, I find these types of things despicable: why can't you use whatever YOU have of your brains and make your own models to sell?!

'course, I'm a bit jealous that MY models haven't been pirated yet! :p
  10. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

The Starship Troopers Rodger Young is definately my design, I can tell you that- and it's only been available here.

Lousy *******s. At least someone bothered to design a stand for it...

This kind of stuff *has* to be fodder for lawyers somewhere... :curse:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
  11. sidewinder81777

sidewinder81777 Midnight Modeler

I know two wrongs don't make a right, but a good hacker would come in SOOO handy right now.
  12. Falsemuzzle

Falsemuzzle New Member

I feel for all of you who have had these stolen...even though they are not my designs, this still makes me want to puke.
  13. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

I wonder if there is someone so dumb that will pay that much for a model that can be found for free on the net, with just a little research.
  14. MTK

MTK Active Member

Has anyone made the attempt to contact this vendor and, or the webmaster, or e-commerce provider, or anyone else for that matter and inform them that these works were done by others and that they are free?

I mean these designs are copyrighted by others, but there has to be some way to inform them.....????
  15. armorbimbo

armorbimbo Member

But....they are selling paper and ink not PDFs. If they were selling PDFs then sure they are crossing a line. But it's basically like someone taking the free PDF to the local copy/print store and then attacking store employees because they want you to pay for the printing. Seems to me that they are offing a service rather than selling something that is free.

That's my 2 cents...
  16. Wrong.

It is the same as downloading an album from itunes, burning a cd, and selling it. It's not a service. It's piracy.

In both cases (this paper model piracy thread, and the itunes example) the original author is not receiving what he rightfully deserves (credit, recognition, and money).

And in the case of free models, the fact that they are free from the web does not mean that anyone can print them and sell the printed version. It is profiting from something that they did not create, and that don't own the rights to. It is not a service. It is making money from other people's efforts and creativity. As bad as selling the PDFs. There is no difference in that. Whether PDFs or printed copies of digital files, it is the same unlawful thing.

One more thing: many of the things they offer are scanned/re-reprinted copies of printed kits that have never been available as PDFs. They offer unauthorized copies of Halinski, Maly and other publishers. ¿How does that fit in your "service" definition?

The example of the copy shop is very bad and does not support your point of view. There's no point of comparison there. If you -for personal use- and not having a printer at home, take your freely downloaded PDF to the print store, and have the kit printed, and pay for the service (the paper, ink and use of their machines), and take it back to your home, there is no illegal action there, and it would be plainly stupid to accuse the employees of the print store of piracy. That's why you never hear of that, and print stores still exist legally.

But if someone prints a freely downloaded kit from anywhere, with the intention of making money by selling copies of it to a third person, then it is illegal.

If someone goes to a copy shop and make printed copies of the PDFs, and sell them to other people, it is they who are breaking the law, not the employees of the copy shop. The employees are just an intermediate tool the pirate uses for his objective.

And that's exactly why several print stores, copy shops and photography shops refuse to make copies of certain materials. They don't want to be used for illegal purposes. That's another scenario, but is relevant for this discussion.
  17. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Keep It Civil

While no one has overstepped bounds yet, a friendly reminder from your admin:

This is a highly charged topic and likely to produce highly charged feelings and responses.

This is a good thing- we need healthy debate.

I'm going to let this thread run, with the caveat to all:

Keep It Civil.

I'll be watching.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
  18. stilgarhammer

stilgarhammer Member

It always saddens me when I hear about this. As I do many of this work myself, I understand all the hard work that goes into this stuff. People have asked me, do you sell the stuff you make, I often say no. Its been my experience, If you want to use someone else's work as part of your own, common Courtesy is to give them credit and also if you make changes to someone else's work, get permission before you do.
  19. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Common sense. Unfortunately, when you have to state it, usually the people involved know better, but choose not to use their common sense.
  20. teckno viking

teckno viking New Member

Going through this thread, firstly, Sorry for you guys who do the hard work designing these beautiful pieces being ripped off.

Secondly however, as it`s already been pointed out here, surely someone keen to build a card model, would have searched the net and found this site if not directed from another card modeller (as I was) and had access to a whole plethora of wonderful designs and scales to model make with.

Seems sad there are those who`ll take someone else's hard work and sell it on as their own :(

As I am new here I have to say Thank You to ALL of you guys for still being open enough to allow new members (like myself) to the group and card modelling and Not making it a totally closed group on invitations only (to limit this type of thing).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.