Lost in a sea of terminology

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
First of all, welcome (a bit late) Don. Val, your comments reminded me of a night early in my membership of a club. I had shyly entered a model railroad club in my area. Shyly, because although I had many years of "modeling" behind me, I had always been a lone wolf type. This was late 70's or early 80's. Atlas had just come out with RS3's, and I brought one to the club this night. Two of the "veterans" started arguing (with each other, not me) about which model Diesel engine was in the prototype, and when it changed to a different engine. After about 5 minutes I was losing interest and thought it strange that they seemed to be getting aggitated. Another 10 minutes and I simply told them mine has a 12 volt motor and left them to find refuge in the company of others, who turned out to be Blake and Mark, also members of the Gauge. Mark was much more amusing, focusing on imitating the sound of the Diesels rather than caring which model it was. A poor mans sound system, if you will. I have no experience with the Atlas forum, landed here first and it is the best I've seen. Thanks to all.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Thanks Gary, I've been hanging around here for a few weeks and have picked up more tips and seen more good pictures than I deserve. I'm not saying there isn't some good things on that forum, just that it is difficult to filter it out.

But I don't care what hobby, sport or activity there is, there will be some participants that go overboard with the attitude "if your going to do it, do it right" (a quote from "that" forum) Well, who's going to define what's "right"? If I go to a football game you won't catch me taking my shirt off and painting my body and face the team colors and freezing my buns off for the TV cameras. That may be "right" for some, but not for me. The same goes here, I would like to know my options and choose what I feel best doing. Nobody here has yet to try to force feed me anything and everyone seems to have an open mind to what they do.

I still can't get over all the pictures posted here.

Don

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Years ago, I read a column where enthusiasts were divided into "serious" and "solemn". (wasn't about model RRers but...)
Shamus is a "serious" modeller.
Those two guys arguing about the engine were "solemn".
Enjoy.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by Gary Pfeil
Mark, also members of the Gauge. Mark was much more amusing, focusing on imitating the sound of the Diesels rather than caring which model it was. A poor mans sound system, if

Some kinda physics law says that if ya got more than ten guys ina room for more than ten minutes, at least one will start making sound effects of some sort. You know at those big UN meetings, there's gotta be some guy in the back runnin a square eraser around on his table eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemmmmmmm, eeemmmmmmmm, eeem, eeeeeeeeeem in his mind running that XK through the gears eeeeemmmmmm (5 spd conversion). Within an hour, they'll be entertaining each other with bodily functions.

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
While I was playing with my electric trains, I noticed none of my old Athearn disgustingly-widebodied Geeps have M.U. hoses.:eek:
So, instead of worrying, I just consider those who have them, to be "Hosers"...:D
This is a Canadian term, not totally derogatory, but definitely of limited affection.;)
regards / Mike

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
There's a prototype for everything!

This forum has the best responses to all your modeling efforts.

They usually say stuff like:

"Hey, that's neat"
"Cool idea"
"I wish that I thought of that"

They only count rivets if you ask them to, but they will usually respond: "Just use weld joints and don't worry about it."

There's a fellow I know of who scrapes the rivets off of most of his models before repainting them. In his case, he's following prototype because the Canadian GMD Locomotives were welded, where the American EMD locos are riveted! :LOL:

You would be amazed to find that there are prototypes for just about everything....

If you are not sure, you can sometimes bluff.

If people say, "BNSF never had one of those....." You can always say, "Yes, but their subsidiary/connecting shortline did..."

Or you can use a little science fiction and say, "I'm operating in an alternate universe where EMD never existed, and Paulsen-Knudsen built all the locomotives that drove Baldwin out of business after merging with ALCo...."
Or, in my case, every model I bash together is its own prototype.

I was at a SORBB Meet in October where I was discussing my plans to build modern Galloping Geese. I was also toying with the idea of building a modern fireless switching locomotive. Instead of preassurizing the tank with steam, the thing would be pnumatic, built by Campbell Hausfeld or Ingersoll-Rand.

Turns out that there was a NG Porter loco that ran on 800 psi compressed air, regulated down to 15psi for the cylinders!

Like I said... If you look hard enough, you can find a prototype for everything.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Decisions, decisions

I decided when I first started hearing about these types that I wasn't going to get that serious. I didn't treat my livelihood that serious, I'm not about to treat my hobby that way either. Hey, my railroad is going to be the prototype for something that probably never existed, therefore, no one can criticize me and tell me, "that never could have been that way....". My answer would be. "Of course not, this isthe prototype, that's why it's so strange looking to you. Someday all railroads will look this way":D :D :D :D

The only thing that concerns me are those guys that Jon mentioned that run around making bodily noises. They sound too much like my poker buddies.:rolleyes:

D:cool: N