loss of power

joe ramirez

Nov 26, 2004
I have a mainline and it goes to a left turnout. that connects to a right turnout that connects to a larger loop. I am loosing power at the first turnout. The switch works but the train won't go. what could I do to fix it? Do I need to add another trunout to connect it back to the main line?

I tried to upload a image but I can't.
wave.gif
wave.gif

Joe
I have added a word doc to show the layout and show where the loss of power occurs.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    19 KB · Views: 52

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi Joe,
Welcome aboard! I've had trouble like this a couple of times with Atlas turouts. What I did was cut a length of wire, peeled off about a quarter inch of the insulation at both ends, and (with power pack on and engine on track) touched it:

(1) to the rails of the turnout and the track behind it...
(2) to the rails of the turnout and the track in front, and
(3) to the rails beyond both ends of the turnout...

to see if there is any engine movement under any of those options. If so I then solder wire accordingly to provide the needed power. More experienced folks on the forum who enjoy the electircal side of the hobby can explain why this power loss happens with some turouts and not others but at least I've been able to take care of it on my layout.
Best wishes!
Ralph

joe ramirez

Nov 26, 2004
Thanks for the help and Ralph I had just thought of that just before I check your reply, I need to add more power to the outer loop. strange.
Thanks again for the help.
Joe
thumbsup.gif

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Joe: a couple of suggestions. An automobile lamp in one of your power wires will tell you if you have a short circuit. Does your train run and stop at the switch or not run at all? If it stops and you don't have a short, take a length or wire with bare bits at each end, touch one to the rail where the train runs and the other to the same rail about where the train stops. You may have to repeat for the other rail. If the train runs, you've found a break in your electric supply.

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
Joe,

My question to you is.....is there power going to the inner loop? I know it may be a simple question, but with my experiences with electrical troubleshooting, it's the simple questions that shine the brightest light. :D

-doc