Looks familiar?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by DanRaitz, Jul 23, 2008.

1. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

I been woking on paint schemes for my private leasing company "DRLX" and when I did this one, it struck me that I had seen something every similar on the prototype RR's. But, I have racked my brain and can't recall which RR or Demo unit had a scheme very much like it. So I thought to throw it out to you guy's.

And no it's not the Frisco scheme.

Attached Files:

2. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Looks similar to the EMD SD-60 Demo scheme, which I used for my BL20-2's (scheme, not color)

Attached Files:

3. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

Yeah, I know if you change the red to blue it is real close to EMD's 50/60 series demo scheme.
  4. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

Reminiscent of the Frisco (St. Louis & San Fransisco) paint scheme.
  5. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

It is the right colors for Soo Line. Did they ever have a paint scheme like that one?
  6. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

The color separation also reminds me of BN SD70MACs. Soo had nothing like this.

Being reminiscent of several real railroads isn't a bad thing. It makes it realistic, as railroads tend to use familiar paint scheme elements.
  7. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

I have no idea, but it does look familiar to me. It is cool looking locomotive though. :D
  8. puddlejumper

puddlejumper Member

Reminds me of Indiana and Ohio Ry.

Nice SD30 by the way. :thumb:

9. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

The color separation lines are reminiscent of a lot of paint schemes I've seen on short lines and leasing companies. I think the classic EMD shape lends itself to just such color separation lines, and being straight line they are easy to mask. I don't know if there is an exact prototype for the scheme you came up with, Dan; but I think that scheme is near perfect for a leasing company livery.
  10. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Are you planning to bash an SD30? It's an often-mentioned "could have been" loco. More serious a "could have been" than some, for this design was actually ordered by Kennecott Copper! EMD wouldn't make only one unit, and KCC got the last SD24 instead.