Looking to edit a PDF, to change many things

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by zac, Aug 3, 2006.

1. zac

zac New Member

Hello, I am currently into a project in which i will re-design a AT-AT, making the joints better and improving the quality and more. I have photoshop CS for my PC, but when i open the PDF, it sets the background to transparent and all of the drawing becomes blurred and worse quality, anyone know how to fix this/ or reccomend a program to suit my editing needs?
    Thank you.
  2. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I don't know enough about photoshop to figure this one out, but as a solution, try PDF995 software. It's free (nagware) you can convert pdf files to jpg, gif, etc...Download HERE
  3. zac

zac New Member

Hmmm. Not quite what i needed, Ill try and get a hold of adobe Illustrator.
  4. 46rob

46rob Member

Go to Layers and try "Flatten Image" in Photoshop
  5. rowiac

rowiac Member

Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw will open unprotected PDFs and allow you to edit them. PDFs using vector graphics (lines that don't get fuzzy when you zoom in) are the best for editing because there is no loss of resolution. I'm not sure about Corel, but Illustrator will even let you work in the PDF format and save back to it directly without having to use Illustrator's native .ai format.

6. cygielski

cygielski Member

You should be able to print to a PDF or EPS file, which you could then edit in Illustrator. You lose any layers, etc., but the resolution should be fine. As Rob said, flattening the image in PS will take care of the transparency.
  7. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Photoshop and PDF

I have Photoshop, too, and use it extensively for editing pdf-files. To your questions:

1) The transparent background is actually a great advantage. Just add a layer in Photoshop beneath the parts layer, and fill it with white. Then you can switch this background on and off at will.

If the background in the original hadn't been transparent (as it often isn't), you would want to accomplish that anyway (by the magic wand), since moving parts around is difficult if you don't get rid of the white (it will cover other parts).

2) When you open a true pdf in Photoshop, you will always get a dialogue menu requesting you to fill in all relevant parameters, such as measures and resolution.

Leave measures alone for the time being, since the are probably automatically taken from the original you are about to open.

Resolution is the key factor for your blurriness. I specify 300 dpi, you choose your own. It helps to understand that Photoshop acts like a scanner - it scans the original pdf, and it will do that with the resolution you set, just like a real physical scanner.

At this stage you may also want to do your scaling (which is a thing I do a lot, and you might not be into at all). Try changing one of the measurements to percent, and make sure that the other measurement follows suit (that is, that you have specified dimensions to be locked to each other; it is usually automatic).

3) Sometimes you come upon a pdf-file which is made by Photoshop originally. Then you will not get the dialogue above. Instead you get what the designer already has specified (for resolution, etc.). That shouldn't result in any bluriness, since you get the original resolution specified.

4) It is possible to get around most locked pdf-files as well, without any software beyond acrobat reader and photoshop. I would be happy to tell you all how, if there's any need for it (I've done so before somewhere on the site). But I'll leave it for now until the need arises.

8. zac

zac New Member

Wow! Thanks Lief Oh and rob46! That worked! It worked a charm. Thanks a lot! I have begun the editing of the AT-AT walker. It is bigger and better now, lots more detail, More 3D parts and awsome changes to many things. Ill post a few pics maybe later today, i will be printing off a test sheet. I will show the new guns, head, feet and twin motor drives.

I will post the finished PDF's for all to enjoy!
  9. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Zac, before you release anything check with the designer and see if he would like a copy, and you might want to give him proper credit if you release the model