Looking for.....

tecnomuzik

Sep 24, 2007
Hello. I'm new around these parts but I'm hoping someone might be able to help. I'm looking for an HO scale train set of the modern/current Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) elevated trains. Does anyone know where I might be able to find such a thing?

Many thanks.

pjb

Dec 21, 2000
Visit site
CTA cars

:thumb:
There are no trainsets of CTA equipment. Only
IRT 'R-2s' are made and sold in what would
pass for "trainsets". Even there you get 3 cars,
and NYCTA runs ten car subway trains as
standard on lines that ran 'R-2' rolling stock.

Go to EAST PENN CLUB's traction pages
(that you can GoogleUp easily), and once there
go to traction supply company listings.
There you will find names of makers/ importers
of , among other things, kits or rtr - CTA
equipment. The selections are limited and
largely confined to 'O' and 'HO', that are
the most popular scales for street railway
and transit system modeling here.

'N' scale has a limited electric traction
following in North America, but that
would change if the large producers should
produce a few more models. I say that because
of the amount of model pike action which
can be crammed into 'N' scale electric
transit based layouts.
Regardless of that matter, go to the listing
mentioned on the traction club's website
and look up who makes what; in the scale
and equipment area that interests you.
Good-Luck, Peter Boylan

tecnomuzik

Sep 24, 2007
Peter, thanks for the info. It's too bad there aren't more CTA type models out there. I'll definitely look into traction stuff you mentioned. Thanks again!

tecnomuzik

Sep 24, 2007
Those look great. Any idea what kind they are? Those only have 2 doors just like the CTA. Most of these types of cars I've found have 3 doors.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
The first car says Chicago ____ Yellow Book...and it says CTA underneath...so someone in the eastpenn club knows who built it...and how to build it.

You might want to consider scratch building...or kitbashing. They are methods for getting exactly what you'd like. Not every project needs to have anywhere close to the level of detail that my DSP&P waycar has in the scratchin' and bashin' forum...but the same basic technique of taking a piece of cardboard, brass, or plastic...cutting it to size with a razor/x-acto knife and then filing allows you to build almost anything...and many people in that forum would be thrilled to help. I consider it to be the best bang for my hobby dollar...and you can duplicate an model many times with resin casting (building one CTA car can become 20 for $50 worth of resin & rubber molds)

Maybe all you need is to purchase a three door model...cut a piece of cereal board (cardboard cut from a cereal box) to cover up the extra door...and then it'll be close enough for your taste.