Looking for unlettered covered hoppers

2-8-2

ATL-38721.jpg

My GATX cars arrived today, and they look great! They're due to go under the paintbrush soon for some light weathering. These Airglide cars became available in 1953, the same year I'm modeling, so I have to be careful not to go overboard. I'll probably give them a light dirt weathering with some moderate rust, especially around the hatches. I also read a how-to on adding spilled grain around the hatches using regular spices from the kitchen.

I'll post some progress pics when I get started!

2-8-2

gatx9it.jpg

Sorry for the low quality pic, my camera isn't the best. Here's some preliminary weathering on one of the new GATX/GACX covered hopper cars. I added some light rust on the steps and the rooftop walkway, and a couple rusty/run stains around a couple of the lids on the roof.

Using a Floquil grimy black wash, I added some road dirt along the bottom of each side and the ends. I think the ends need another treatment. Using some Liquid CA around a couple lids, I sprinkled a little garlic salt for the effect of spilled corn. It's hard to see in the picture here, but it adds a nice look.